Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
one time poster Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:50:56 PM(UTC)

I had the same problem today. It first appeared that the lid switch wasn't working every time. Sometimes, spinning the timer around seemed to solve the problem, but not always.

But when I tried closing the lid in different ways (gently, or push at the back) I could control how it worked.

It finally became apparent that the rubber stopper around the post that activates the lid switch had hardened after many years, causing the lid switch to barely work, and sometimes not work at all.

I took off the rubber stopper and shaved about a millimeter (1/16") off it and put it back on. It works fine now.
fairbank56 Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:49:45 PM(UTC)

Sounds like a faulty timer. After the agitation cycle, the timer should stop the motor and then restart it in the reverse direction for drain/spin. When you open the lid, you are stopping the motor. You need to listen to the washer while doing a load. If it just agitates during the whole time, then the timer has a stuck contact preventing the motor from stopping so that it can reverse direction for the drain/spin cycle.

Whirlpool 661649 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
CRrie Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:24:34 PM(UTC)

The timer appears to have run through all cycles if you look at the dial but when you open the lid (top load) the washer is full of water. If I turn the knob back around to spin, it will drain & spin. If I open the lid, stick a pen in the lid switch hole, the washer will advance through all cycles properly. Water coming out if discharge hose during draining totally fills hose so I don't believe it is blocked. Any ideas appreciated!