Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
richappy Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 12:49:18 PM(UTC)

You are right, you have the dependable care Maytag, your pulley engages a cam that rides up a helix shaft and disengages the brakes. There is no adjustment for this.
Go to web site www.appliancejunk.com/forums and download the service manual for dependable care Maytag washers.
They will explain how to take apart things. There is a 200 pound tension spring in the brake housing, proceed with caution. If you replace all the brake housing screws with 8-32 screws 1 1/2 inch long, you will be able to back them off symetricaly till the spring tension is released.
This is a relatively easy job to do. You might find a frozen bearing in there.
This can all be done with the washer laying down on it's back. Good luck, they also recommend to put some oil on the brakes I guess to prevent jamming.
As a side note, most of the time with the dependable care washers, the problem is something in the top of the tub like a sock, so before doing anything I would take the top off the tub and check for something jammed in there.
Unhandy Dad Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 4:23:21 AM(UTC)

By spin basket, do you mean the inner tub (that the clothes sit in) with the holes in it? That tub is locked and will NOT spin. (I guess it's supposed to spin? I'm new at this.) When turning the tranny pulley counterclockwise, the agitator DOES move. I can't see anything refering to a cam pulley kit on any illustrations of my washer? Are you confusing my washer with another model? Thanks!
richappy Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 12:46:46 AM(UTC)

When you turn the tranny pulley cw, the pulley cam must move upwards to release the brakes.Then the tranny will start to move the spin basket. Get someone to try to turn the spin basket while you do this. If basket is stuck,you need a new cam pulley kit, if basket is free, you need a new tranny.
Gene Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:17:24 PM(UTC)

If the drive pulley rotates freely CCW (looking at it from the bottom) but will not allow the agitator to oscillate, the transmission has to be replaced.

If the drive pulley rotates freely CW until a certain point - it could be the transmission or the brakes.

For more specific diagnosis you need to call a certified technician.

Gene.
Unhandy Dad Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:49:02 PM(UTC)

when i turn the tranny pulley, the agitator moves. the spin basket doesn't appear to move. i can turn the tranny pulley counterclockwise easily. does that mean it's not the tranny? that would be good, right?
richappy Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:22:09 PM(UTC)

If you turn the tranny pulley in agitate direction and the tranny locks up= bad tranny.
Unhandy Dad Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:30:13 AM(UTC)

Thanks. I'll check it out. When we first noticed the problem a few days ago, we heard a slight squeaking sound and smelled burnt rubber. I'm assuming that was the belts when it locked up? The belts appear to be okay though. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks!
richappy Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:17:38 AM(UTC)

I think clockwise is spin, then counterclockwise would be agitate, a simple look would confirm. If it is jamming in spin, but moves initially, it appears your brake shoes are releasing. Only thing left would be something stuck in the spin basket, or a bad tranny.
Also, when you turn the tranny pulley, does the spin basket turn along with the tranny housing.
Unhandy Dad Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:41:53 AM(UTC)

I'm able to manually turn the transmission pulley CLOCKWISE (is that the correct direction?) fairly easily until I get to a particular point. Then it stops and won't budge. I'll try the spin basket this evening. Thank soooo much!
richappy Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:14:15 AM(UTC)

Pull off the front panel and turn the tranny pulley in the spin direction. If hard to spin, the pulley cam assembly needs to be changed. Have someone try to turn the spin basket. If it is locked up, your brake shoes are not releasing which confirms a worn cam assembly. If the spin basket turns easily, you have a bad tranny. Go to www.applianceaid. com for replacement info.