Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
magician59 Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 5:18:30 AM(UTC)

The first thing to check is the incoming voltage and the voltage coming from the transformer. You should have 120VAC going to it; and something in the range of 10VAC coming out of it.
SJSonARF Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:53:15 PM(UTC)

Magician,

I'm fine with performing the test, although the only real electrical work I've done has been with house wiring.

Thanks
magician59 Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:22:12 AM(UTC)

That is probably the transformer I'm talking about. You'll need to take a live voltage test with a meter to comfirm the diagnosis, before committing to a purchase. Do you feel comfortable doing such a test?
SJSonARF Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:52:59 AM(UTC)

Thanks Magician,

My main concern is that I might fry a new board if the problem was some other component. Not to mention not fixing the problem with a $$$ item when a $$ part would do it or at least is necessary.

There does appear to be a separate transformer for the control, WHIRLPOOL 9760589 (AP3963951) - TRANSFORMR.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
magician59 Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:56:51 AM(UTC)

If there's no display, but the light comes on; chances are that the low voltage transformer. This is probably now an integral part of the control board, so board replacement will be necessary.
Part number: AP3598629
SJSonARF Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:16:42 AM(UTC)

The control panel display on this oven is completely dead. My wife was using the the microwave oven, and while pressing the EASY MINUTE button, the oven made a crackling noise for a second or two then stopped working, with the control panel display blank (unlit) and unresponsive. I was in another room at the time, in which the lights flickered then returned to normal. There was no unusual odor at the time of the failure.

The circuit breaker to the oven was not tripped and turning off the breaker for several minutes had no effect.

The oven light turns on when the door is opened.

The 250V 20A fuse appears to be okay, showing 0 ohms on a multimeter.

I assume the control panel (AP3598629, Whirlpool 8301991) has failed, but before I order and install this part, I'd like to make sure that make sure that this is the most likely cause, and not some other electrical component.

Would any of the other components (capacitor, supressor, transformers, magnetron, etc.) cause it to fail in this way?

Thanks