Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
fairbank56 Posted: Friday, May 1, 2015 3:25:13 AM(UTC)

Not good, you need to replace that switch. That's why the dryer continued to heat even with the belt broken. As I said before, the start switch bypasses the belt switch.

GE WE4M519 Rotary Start Switch - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
dscott31508 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:07:10 PM(UTC)

Our start switch is stuck on, all I have to do is turn the dryer to one of the timed settings and the dryer kicks on automatic
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:58:54 PM(UTC)

The knob that you turn to turn the dryer on that says START above it is the start switch. The start switch bypasses the belt switch. If you hold it in the start position the motor should continue running even without a belt. If the dryer produces heat with the motor off, either one of the heat elements is grounded or the motor switch (different from start switch) for the heat circuit is stuck closed.

Eric
dscott31508 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:46:24 PM(UTC)

Where is the start switch?

What would be wrong then if it is still heating , with a broke belt??
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:43:09 PM(UTC)

Not unless you are holding the start switch to keep the motor running. The motor must be running as the heat circuit includes a switch in the motor which is only closed if the motor is running. With no belt, the motor won't stay running because of the belt switch, unless you hold the start switch. The motor switch is a safety device so that if the motor quits, it shuts the heat off as well.

Eric
dscott31508 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:25:46 PM(UTC)

Not to sound stupid, but what does the belt have to do with the heat. I think being inexperienced put the belt on smooth side down not ridge side down. Wouldn't the dryer still produce heat even if it doesn't spin

Thanks
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:59:28 PM(UTC)

Well, you need to replace the belt but if it is still producing heat, you have other problems as well.

GE WE12M29 Dryer Drum Drive Belt - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
dscott31508 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:25:25 PM(UTC)

when I opened the dryer, the belt was broke..

any ideas
dscott31508 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:04:48 PM(UTC)

So, you started the dryer, it wasn't tumbling and you walked away from it? Will it start now (tumble)? If it won't start tumbling yet it still produces heat, the motor is faulty or one of the heat elements is grounded. If it still tumbles, try air fluff cycle. If it heats in that cycle (while tumbling), then one of the elements is grounded.

Eric

we ran probably 10+ cycles fine, "cotton"
my wife ran a load this morning, stated the dryer, and walked away,
later on in the day she went to check the clothes and noticed it.
I do not know if it started tumbling or not in the beginning. when I get off work I am going to see if it will start. I will try what you are saying and get back to you later, thanks for the help
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:01:25 PM(UTC)

So, you started the dryer, it wasn't tumbling and you walked away from it? Will it start now (tumble)? If it won't start tumbling yet it still produces heat, the motor is faulty or one of the heat elements is grounded. If it still tumbles, try air fluff cycle. If it heats in that cycle (while tumbling), then one of the elements is grounded.

Eric