Discuss

Selection Knob Won't Catch and Turn

in

Washer Repair

. "

I have a GE Hotpoint washer. The knob to the right that you press in and turn to select what

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Selection Knob Won't Catch and Turn

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM

Foneswood is on a distinguished road
Default Selection Knob Won't Catch and Turn
Model Number: ZZXR1040T2WB   Brand: GE   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a GE Hotpoint washer. The knob to the right that you press in and turn to select what type of water temperature you want isn't working correctly. Usually you press it in and turn it to the correct temperature and it would click as you turn it. Now it acts like something is worm because it will "bump" along when you try to turn it and eventually it will "catch" so you can turn it to the correct water temperature. Is it just the knob or some part behind the knob I can't see.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 11-04-2009, 12:46 PM

RBG1 is on a distinguished road

We have a GE WJRR4170 washer, with the same problem. At first I thought I might have to unscrew the entire control panel just to replace the knob. However, replacing the knob turns out to be easy.

Right behind the knob, holding it in place, is a nylon/plastic retainer clip. If you pull out the knob (into the "start" position), you will get easier access to the retainer clip. You can use a flathead screwdriver to push the clip out. The knob then will slide easily off the metal stem. A GE replacement knob costs $9 or $10, depending on the source.

Shame on GE, but the knob is designed terribly. The part of it that engages the dial has eight, flimsy plastic teeth. At any time, four of these are supposed to engage four little slots in the dial. However, the way the knob is designed, there will be a lot of wear and tear on these plastic teeth, so they'll wear out on every single machine.

Good luck to the many people who will have this problem!
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.