Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
junebughoney3  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:54:40 AM(UTC)
junebughoney3

Groups: Registered

I purchased my washer in Feb of this year and haven't had problems until the last few weeks.
If the machine has been off for a few hours and I start a load of laundry the starting process is normal, no issues. But now for some reason during the cycle countdown it will not go to 00:00 to end, the machine will stop with 1 minute left and make three or four short buzzes and the display will say the door is locked and the start/pause button will flash, although the door will open and I can take the clothing out. The display will clear, but the "Door Locked" notice will remain on the display. If at this time I try to start another load of laundry it will not cycle properly. The machine will make the short buzzing sounds, pause itself and then we can hear the pump come on and stay on for a few minutes. We've done everything in the manual to check for a blockage in the lines, cleaning and doing each suggestion we've read including unplugging the machine to reset it.
If I leave the washer alone for 30 min to an hour, the "Door Locked" message will clear eventually and then I am able to start a load of laundry and everything goes smoothly, but the process repeats itself when it will end at 1 min and pause itself.
Until recently I've never had a problem doing several loads of laundry one after another.

One more thing.... while checking everything last night we found a tear in the gasket and have ordered a new one, my husband said he wouldn't think that would cause the problem we are experiencing..... but never know.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, I do have the warranty but would hate to call out someone only to find its something common or an issued not covered resulting in a service call charge.
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kamhyde  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:45:51 PM(UTC)
kamhyde

I have had the same problem. I am in the middle of trying to replace the door gasket as I type. Your problem, is one that I have been having for several months. My washer is 2 yrs old. The bottom panel on the front of the machine is where your trouble is. There are three screws that hold the cover on. Remove those and the panel will come right off. In the middlle is a drain that needs to be emptied out. You will need some sort of catch pan. When you unscrew it, pull it towards you a little bit and out will flow water. Also, if you have any "trash" it will come out here. What happens is that when this drain is clogged, the brain of the washer senses that something is wrong and will go into a shut down mode. After you have done this, you will need to unplug the washer and let it clear itself out. Hopefully this will solve your problem.
junebughoney3  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:55:31 PM(UTC)
junebughoney3

Yes we have checked and cleaned the pump filter, nothing in there. My Husband has removed all of the drain lines to make sure we had no clogs. The Washer is clog free in every way and we did reset the washer on two different occassions with no change.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 11:43:40 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'd really recommend to call GE for service due to your washer must be under the manufacturer warranty.

Gene.
Luker50  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:02:41 AM(UTC)
Luker50

junebughoney3,
I know its been a long time since the original post, but I just started experiencing this problem and I am wondering what the outcome of our issue was...

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Pat
junebughoney3  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:41:02 AM(UTC)
junebughoney3

Yes we did find the solution. The Front Door Boot Gasket had a rip in it. We replaced it and all was fine. Even though I have the warranty the rip was our fault, my husband had a drill bit in his pocket that I must have missed when going through the laundry. We bought a new gasket online and my husband was able to put it on... though not easy if you aren't familiar with these types of repairs.
I've only had this issue once since that time and had no rip, it was that the filter at the bottom front of the washer needed to be cleaned out. The one thing I have noticed about this washer is that once in a while for who knows what reason some clothing will get caught and ripped, those pieces from the clothing were trapped in the filter so I make sure to check it regularly.

I hope this helps you!
Luker50  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:03:11 AM(UTC)
Luker50

I am completely thrilled that after almost 15 months, you replied in like 20 minutes. I will have to check out the filter, and the boot gasket. The washer ran like complete crap last night, and by the time I was able to get the clothes out I had had enough and went to bed. I was fearful that the controller board had gone, and was gonna cost a few hundred to repair. Glad to see that this has the potential to be something rather minor. Seems crazy/amazing that the machine "knows" there is a rip in the boot. Now that you mention it, I did have some water on the floor which is also a first. So I guess these things go hand in hand. Thanks again for the response!
Luker50  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:16:35 AM(UTC)
Luker50

One last question...
What is the part number of the gasket? And where/how did you find it?
I looked on searspartsdirect.com and came accross one "gasket" that was like $179. And then there was a "tub seal" for like $22. Did you have to replace both?
junebughoney3  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:39:55 AM(UTC)
junebughoney3

I know how difficult it can be to find the information you need quickly so I was more than happy to help you out!
From what I've read the washer does a system check before starting and if anything is out of sort it won't begin the washing process. I to found water on the floor and when my husband took off the front panel at the bottom he noticed water in the bottom tray, thats when we flipped the rubber seal back inside the washer and found the rip. I also make sure now to clean that area out after each wash.

The link I had saved isn't working for some reason but all I did was enter the Model number into my search engine and was able to find the part number. I then did a search for appliance repair parts and was able to find a few sites that offer the product at reasonable prices.
I bought the boot for around $90 and no I didn't have to replace anything else with it.

This is a link to the post on this forum that helped me out a lot:

http://forum.appliancepartspros...door-boot-gasket-ge.html

Good Luck!
Luker50  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:10:10 AM(UTC)
Luker50

Thanks again for the help. I am gonna look around tonight. I am hoping that its just the filter this time, cause I really cant imagine having developed a leak in the boot....though you never know. Thanks for the additional link. Seems like an involved process to remove the boot, but that should be a huge help should I have to go down that route.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply