Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zakinsfbay  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:05:37 AM(UTC)
zakinsfbay

Groups: Registered

I need to replace the pump on my GE washer, Model Number WCXR1070T5WW. It just hums when it gets to the place in the cycle when the tub should drain. I've ordered the part from this site. To get going, I need two questions answered. How do I access the pump? Do I turn the machine on its back and access it from the bottom? If so, how do I get the water out that is below the tub with the holes in it so that I can turn it on its back without spilling the water? Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be back before this adventure is over !!
Bob
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 3:09:10 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Do not turn the machine on its back or move it. You can remove the front by inserting a stiff putty knife or a screw driver in the gap between the top and the front near the edges. This will release clips that hold the front on and it will come off, giving you access to the pump.

When you disconnect the hoses to the pump water will come out, so be prepared to catch it.
zakinsfbay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:25:37 PM(UTC)
zakinsfbay

Groups: Registered

The replacement of the pump on my GE Washing Machine was a snap!! Thanks for the information regarding removing the front of the washer. For anyone hesitating to do this repair themselves here's what I learned.

I used stiff plastic pry bars I bought at Harbor Freight to remove the front. I think they are in the Automotive Department and are used to remove trim. They will not scratch your washer. Be sure to unplug the washer since you will be removing the electrical connectors and playing in water. It will kill you! I got 10 feet of flexible 1/4 inch tubing from Home Depot in the appliance department and put one end through one of the holes in the first tub to siphon out as much water as possible.

I had a large plyers, a channel lock plyers, and a vice grip. Using them all, I finally squeezed the spring style hose claps and moved them enough to pull off the hoses. A hose clamp plyers would have possibly saved some cuss words, but it wasn't too bad. Since I had removed much of the water, only about three cups of water came out of the hoses but the tray the washer sat in contained it. I had plenty of old towels to sop it up.

Pull off the electrical connectors from the pump. Remember which wire goes to which side. On mine, the red wire was on the left. Two 3/8 inch self tapping type hex bolts held the pump mount to the machine. I used a racheting closed-end wrench since that was all I had in my tool box, but a regular rachet with a short extension would have worked perfectly and saved time.

The new pump which I purchased here at Appliance Parts Pros.com looked different, was more compact and didn't have the large turbine spinner on the end. But it fit perfectly. I reversed the process, tried the machine before I put the front back on and I was in the washing business !! Thanks for the tips Sidfink !! :)
Bob

Oh PS. I think the problem was the pump impellor being plugged up by a thumb sized lump of crap. I was washing a load of terry shop towels, some which were falling apart. The pump may have been fine once I remove the plug of crap but since I was in it that far and the old pump was over 10 years old, I just replaced it. But I won't wash anything falling apart again.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:09:37 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, thanks, that is a great description of how to do the job, and I for one am going to get those plastic pry bars you mentioned.

Glad you got it going and thanks again for the detailed description of the repair.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply