Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tnichols  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 10:03:00 PM(UTC)
tnichols

Groups: Registered

Washer started to smell like burning rubber. I pulled the cover to find the belt was burnt in one spot.

I bought a new belt and after about 20 wash loads, the belt was burning again.

I just bought a second new belt and installed it. Now I can smell it burning again. I felt the motor pully and it was very hot. Actually burnt my fingers. I wonder if the pully should be that hot?

Washer works through all cycles. But continues to burn belts. I don't see any broken parts and everything seems to move freely. But you can smell the rubber belt bruning. Every now and then I can hear someting rattling in there somewhere, but I can't tell where it is coming from.

Not sure what to check next. Maybe its time for a new washer?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tnichols  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 6, 2008 6:31:30 AM(UTC)
tnichols

I bought another spare belt and I am using the washer. It is working, but the belt and pully still gets very hot. I guess if it happens again, I should just buy a new washer. Unless anyone else has any other ideas? I am stumped on this one.
bmar  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:44:00 AM(UTC)
bmar

What did you end up doing? I am having the same problem. This is the first time it has happened to me. One belt did break but now it was smoking and rubber smell. I am not for sure what to do. I started to do a test run but it still is giving off the burnt smell. I wish some one knew what to do.
tnichols  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:24:04 AM(UTC)
tnichols

Originally Posted by: bmar Go to Quoted Post
What did you end up doing? I am having the same problem. This is the first time it has happened to me. One belt did break but now it was smoking and rubber smell. I am not for sure what to do. I started to do a test run but it still is giving off the burnt smell. I wish some one knew what to do.

First thing I did was to buy two belts, so I had a quick spare. Then I sanded down the pullies. They were rough. I smoothed the part of the pully where the belt runs. Its been a few weeks (in a rental house) and so far it is holding and not smoking.

Good luck with yours, Tom...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply