Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
charus.campbell  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:22:00 PM(UTC)
charus.campbell

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag washer bought at a yardsale. I have owned it for almost 3 years and two weesk ago it filled with water, but never got past the rinse cylce. After that it would fill with water, but the selection knob will only rotate and tick, but it will not spin or agitate ,and the selection knob will never come to a stoping point All it will do is fill with water when I select reset, but will not drain. Any thing I can do?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:07:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Did it wash?

Did it fill up with cold water?

Gene.
charus.campbell  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:08:49 PM(UTC)
charus.campbell

yes it filled with water, but never did anything else. Now it will only fill with water when I slide the load size lever up to reset, but will not fill when I try to select a wash cycle. now only the timer knob will click and slowly rotate without but no water fill or spin or agitation.
charus.campbell  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:14:30 PM(UTC)
charus.campbell

yes. it filled, but then it did nothing else. The selection knob when pulled out will click and slowy rotatae as if going through a wash cycle, but it will not stop at the off position, & the water won't fill nor is there any spinning or agitation. It will only fill with water when I select reset on the load selector.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:00:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sounds like the water level switch gone bad.

- The part number for the water level switch is AP253021

Here are the break down diagrams for the Maytag washer Model LA712

Gene.
DIYBob1  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2010 8:02:18 AM(UTC)
DIYBob1

I had the same problem with my Maytag LA712. The problem was that time timer was not getting fully engaged. To fix it, I popped the cap off the timer dial, removed the spring clip underneath it with a pair of needlenose pliers, removed the knob, the spring beneath it, and lifted off the timer dial plate. I pulled out on the timer dial shaft slightly, which was enough to reengage the cycle. Apparently, pulling out on the knob wasn't lifting the timer dial shift quite enough. My Maytag is 27 years old and still going strong, so one can forgive a little wear! You might need to push in and pull out the timer dial shaft gently a few times. If this is the problem, then put everything back in the order you took it off - the timer dial plate, spring, knob, spring clip and cap for the knob. No need to buy a new timer!
DIYBob1  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:30:09 PM(UTC)
DIYBob1

Here it is nearly 3 years since my previous post and my 30 year old Maytag LA712 is still going. The washer started doing this again, it would fill with water, but the selection knob only rotated and ticked, but it did not spin or agitate. Working on the timer dial didn't work this time (see previous post). I unplugged the washer and let it sit for a while. I shut off the cold and hot water supply from the wall. I turned the washer back on, rotated the dial a little, pulled the timer dial out (from being pushed in), and the washer started agitating again. I turned the water back on, and the washer has run several loads since then without a problem. Perhaps doing this resets the water level switch which may have gotten stuck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply