Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chuck gibson  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:18:55 PM(UTC)
chuck gibson

Groups: Registered

Help! The washing machine described above has "bit the dust". The parts to repair it will cost in excess of $150.00 and the machine is not worth it. I want to buy a new washer but I am not a rich man. I am looking in the range of 650-700 dollars. We do not need a fancy machine, if it will just do the basic functions like wash with hot, medium or cold water, wash delicate as well as regular loads and maybe have two or three water levels to keep from using 100 gallons of water to clean one shirt (sorry for the dumb sarcasm), it will work. I guess I am saying my wife and I don't need a computerized digital readout washing machine. In the past I have read on this forum that certain types or brands (such as GE) are cheap and won't last. Can you guy's in the know please recommend something for me?
Thanks,
Chuck
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

chuck gibson  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:45:18 PM(UTC)
chuck gibson

OK Folks, After not getting a response I went to a different forum and ended up with some very interesting info. You can find this info by clicking on the following link:
http://**************************.com/forum2/24654.html

One thing that shocked me was what I learned about GE. I have read that if you buy a GE, get the extended warranty and hire a repair man to move in with you!

I have decided to go with the Whirlpool model # WTW58ESVW. The final decision was made after reading the customer reviews comparing that model to the WTW57ESVW. The opinions of folks like me and you were night and day when comparing these two models.

Good luck and cheers!
Chuck
chuck gibson  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:52:07 PM(UTC)
chuck gibson

Sorry, I did not realize that you couldn't or maybe shouldn't post information links.
The bottem line is that Whirlpool is the way to go. Whirlpool also owns Maytag and they make Kenmore. Whirlpool is the highest quality of them all. Only get a machine with direct drive... that means stay away from the new certified energy savers. They will cost you more to repair and they break down more easily. This is not coming from me but rather it is what I learned from research!
Good day!
Chuck
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 3:23:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Avoid Calypso and Cabriol, just get the Whirlpool direct drive washer with an agitator. Any new Maytag is a basic Whirlpool washer.
Do not get a Sears waher. If you do, you just might not be getting a Whirlpool.
chuck gibson  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 12:45:27 PM(UTC)
chuck gibson

If you buy a Whirlpool washer from a sears store, and it has a known Whirlpool model #, are you saying it may still be another type of washer?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 3:03:09 PM(UTC)
richappy

A 110 prefix before the model # indicates a Whirlpool washer, other codes for other brands.
chuck gibson  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 5:32:04 PM(UTC)
chuck gibson

WOW!! You mean to say that sears would stick a Whirlpool sticker on a cheaper unit?
richappy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:40:47 AM(UTC)
richappy

There is no such thing as a Whirlpool sticker. They will substitute a Frigidair or Admiral with a Kenmore label on the control panel. There are codes for the prefix numbers in the web site www.applianceaid.com.
This is important that you know the codes before buying at Sears. When Frigidaire was having serious problems with compressors, I checked the code on this customer's failed refrigerator and found it was a Frigidaire. She was furious!
chuck gibson  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:47:44 AM(UTC)
chuck gibson

Thank you Richappy.
This is very interesting information indeed.
This website points out that Sears is a department store...not a manufacturer. When you buy a KENMORE appliance from sears, there is a prefix of three digits that determines which manufacturer built that individual appliance. If that three digit number is preceeded by a "C", it was built in Canada. Sears sells several different brand names of washer and dryer units including GE, Samsung, Whirlpool and of course their own brand Kenmore. Kenmore is the only brand name that this list identifies. But, keep in mind as I believe Richappy was trying to point out...many manufacturers will manufacture products with a department store label on it in order for the store to carry their products. These products are usually made cheaper using cheaper parts with less labor in order to sell them at a cheaper price and still make a small profit. These large stores can afford to do this because of the cheaper prices they are able to sell them for combined with the large volume they turn. They give a manufacturers warranty of one year...in one year and one day...AW WELL!
Thank you again!
richappy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:13:41 AM(UTC)
richappy

Also, I suspect, some manufactures whose product sales are lagging, will pay Sears to put their name on their product to increase sales.
Their product may not really have inferior parts, just may be a marginal design that either does not perform as well, or fails often. BUT,this is not allways true. For example, Maytag is now putting their name on Whirlpool products that are very good quality.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply