Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fonty  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 1:14:02 PM(UTC)
fonty

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I have a maytag pav2300aww washer that was given to me and it is having some issues.
When it agitating, the inner agitator turns but the outer drum spins progressively faster as the cycle (any) goes on. (not in spin cycle)

Another issue is that it appears that the brake mechinism is not working at all as when I open the top the drum spins for along time while it slows down.

Shouldn't the outer drum spin either in the opposite direction of the center agitator or at least not spin in the same direction progressively faster.

The spin cycle appears to work fine as the water is pumped out and the clothers are not overly wet.

I also had an issue with it flooding my floor yesterday (unattended) but it appears that as long as I set the water level to anything other then oversize it doesn't leak.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2010 3:54:34 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Seems like you have two problems. The first is that the brake assembly is not working. This service manual will show you how to get into it, but you will need a special brake removal tool and be careful, you are dealing with a very heavy spring pressure.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16023083.pdf

Your water level problem sounds like a bad water level switch, but check out the tube that leads from it to the basket.
antoinegae  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 3:51:34 PM(UTC)
antoinegae

Groups: Registered

The have the identical problem with a Whirlpool washer. Let me know if and how you fixed it.

The water leak is not a leak but overflow from the basket, as I discovered. As the basket spins, it moves the water in one direction . When the agitator moves in the opposite direction it makes a big wave. Also, when the water empties, the system engages high speed spin, but because the basket is already spin, it speeds up while still full of water causing water to swirl swell over the top of the basket. If the water level is low enough it wont' spill over.

A more serious probem is that the rotating basket causes the laundry to tightly wrap around the agitator. It is not being washed. If you have small pieces they may wrap below the agitator and jam it against the basket.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:52:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
For antoinegae, re-post with the correct info as a Whirlpool washer problem.
For fonly,go to my sticky in the general talk section (Maytag Performa snubber replacement) For replacing the brake shoes and/or spring you will need to remove the pulley and brake housing. Just follow the procedure given.
You will NOT have to buy the expensive brake removal tool and all indications are you have a busted spring anyway.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply