Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ruben1977  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 8:33:01 PM(UTC)
Ruben1977

Groups: Registered

The 4 screws at the underside of the agitator that hold the inner spinner basket to the outer tub have corroded and need to be replaced. The screws didn't seem to have any sort of gasket. Some web sites show these screws with a gasket others don't. Is it necessay for these screws to have gasket or a seal?

Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket between the transmission shaft and the spinner basket?? It doesn't look like nothing was there, I just don't want to confuse the dirt,grime and clothes fibers I cleaned out previously with a disentegrated gasket.

How do I remove the inner spinner basket from the outer tub to check other parts??? It looks like there's a metal/plastic seal I need to take out from the transmission shaft that holds everything together. i can't figure out how to take that off.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:36:52 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Here's a diagram that might help. Tub replacement parts for MAYTAG MAV7580EWW Washer, Atlantis | AppliancePartsPros.com. First open the top and tilt it back to give access to the tub and spinner. Remove the tub cover (#13 in the drawing). Remove the softener cup from the top of the agitator.The agitator itself is attached by a 1/2" hex drive screw. Loosen or remove it and the agitator willl come off. This will expose the screws you're talking about.
Ruben1977  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:28:43 PM(UTC)
Ruben1977

HI, Magician59. Sorry for the confusion. I've already taken out the agitator and the corroded screws. I want to take out the spinner to check that all the gaskets are ok, because I was getting an "oily" substance coming from the trasmission shaft area. I don't know if its an accumulation of dirt and grime from clothes or if it's leaking into the spinner from the transmission shaft. In any case, I could not figure out how to take out the inner spinner. Any ideas??
The confusing part about the diagrams is that it doesn't tell you which components are located inside the spinner, which are located between the spinner and the outside tub (if any) and which ones are within the transmission. I wil lpost another thread foro help.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:35:16 AM(UTC)
magician59

You may see a plastic dome-shaped component inside the spinner, with fins around the outer circumference, and a rubber seal around the transmission shaft. This is the tub seal. It screws onto the transmission, and can be a buggar to remove without the recommended spanner wrench. Ususlly, one will damage the seal to get it out but it can be replaced in the seal kit that you will want to use, anyway. Sometimes, I will end up splitting the seal with a chisel to remove it. Be careful, though, not to damage the threads of the tranny shaft.
Part number: AP4009444
Ruben1977  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 9, 2010 11:39:57 AM(UTC)
Ruben1977

Hi magician59,
I'm trying to locate the spanner wrench to remove the tub seal, but no one seams to have anything that would work. the assistance operator gave me this part number. Can you verify that this would work to remove the tub seal? Part # AP3873487
Ruben1977 attached the following image(s):
AP3873487.jpg
magician59  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 9, 2010 1:43:18 PM(UTC)
magician59

Yes. Along with this: Part number: AP3854730
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply