Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lightafternight  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 4:08:56 PM(UTC)
lightafternight

Groups: Registered

Just yesterday my washer stopped advancing through it's cycles. I can manually move it along but it won't do it on it's own. Also, when I do manually advance the timer, the spin cycle won't start up.

The washer was here when we moved in 4 yrs ago and I don't have the manual.

I've been told it's most likely the timer.

Any suggestions?

Update** so I went out and bought a new timer as was suggested to me and no change. It will still fill with water but won't move on unless I turn the dial. I have watched the motor while turning the timer and it never seems to move. I can manually turn the basket as well. I can't seem to get the spin cycle to work.

Please help as I have 2 young boys (1 and 3) and the laundry is piling up fast!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:44:42 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I cannot get your model number to come up, so I don't know exactly what type of machine you have. Who advised you to replace the timer and on what basis?

Please check it and repost. Look for it to start with a 110 or 417.

Thanks
lightafternight  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:57:14 PM(UTC)
lightafternight

it's a canadian model from sears - ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/Pr...F/Webster/5995348082.pdf

so that is the only model # I have. I know I have seen it listed differently in the us on other message boards but I don't recall the #.

I was told over the phone by both a sears technician and another serviceman that it was the timer so that is why I bought one.

now another tech is saying it has to be either the main control board or the speed control board. I don't want to have to out and pay for more parts that arent needed.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:35:32 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, good. If I had not been half asleep I would have recognized the Canadian number (used to live in Buffalo, loved going to Canada).

Anyway you have a Frigidaire Gallery washer, and here is the service manual.

http://frigidaireservicetips.co..._TumbleActionWashers.pdf

As you can see from the trouble shooting section replacing the speed control board is the likely solution. Those boards go bad regularly on these models. See if you can determine it is getting power, and if so, then replacing has a good chance of fixing things. If it does, put the old timer back in and if it still works see if you can return the new one.
lightafternight  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:51:09 AM(UTC)
lightafternight

Thanks for the info, I have been searching forever to try and find a service manual! I'll see if I can determine if the speed control board is getting power. Unfortunately I have already talked to the store about the new timer and they don't do exchanges or refunds on any electric parts so I'm stuck with it :(

I'll let you know what I find out about on the speed board.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:04:13 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

ok, good luck.
lightafternight  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2010 6:10:35 PM(UTC)
lightafternight

Sorry for the long delay, we were away for a while and ended up just buying a new one as I didn't have the time to test it out.

However, tonight I managed to get my hands on a voltmeter and following the directions on pg 50 of the service manual you sent me, I was able to determine the motor is not defective.

Now if I did it correctly, the readings indicate that the timer I replaced the old one with is also defective. Here were the readings I got:

between pin 5 to pin 1 = 8v
5 to 2 = 8v
5 to 6 = 0v
5 to 9 = 0v
5 to 10 = 8v

so according the the flowchart, this would mean the timer is defective and not the control board as I was not able to get any 120 vac readings. Is this correct? The guy I bought the time from swears it works.

Thanks again for all your help.
lightafternight  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 8:51:26 AM(UTC)
lightafternight

Just wondering if anyone is able to help me out on this? I would love to get this washer up and running as I have a friend now who needs a new one but can't afford to replace his.

Does the above info make sense (voltmeter readings)? I called the company that I bought the replacement timer from and they assured me it would not be defective.

Please help !!
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 11:10:46 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, my understanding was that your machine would operate when you moved the timer manually, but that it would not spin. If that is the situation and you are not getting power to the speed control board then it would seem your timer is defective.

If that is not the case, then it is possible current is not getting to the timer, in which case the door lock assembly or reed switch can be the problem.
lightafternight  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 5:54:40 PM(UTC)
lightafternight

That's correct, I was able to manually advance the timer and get the machine to fill and drain, but not spin. How do I determine if I am not getting current to the timer?

It appears I am getting power to the speed board. What other tests should I be performing?

Again, I really appreciate the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply