Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EMcVadon  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 8:13:28 PM(UTC)
EMcVadon

Groups: Registered

Red-brown oil is dripping from what I assume is the gear case. It apparently has been leaking for some time as evidenced by film of dirt mixed with oil beneath on floor. I understand oil capacity may be 13-15 ounces and that a slow leak can be tolerated. Should we just catch the dripping oil and monitor the rate of the leak? Might it take years to reach harmful level? Does transmission have to be replaced, or can oil be added (easily?)? Repair or replace?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:21:50 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If the oil is slinging out of the seal on the top, it's a indication of internal problems in the tranny. Eventually, it might get worse.
If it is a slow leak, I would pull the tranny and drill a hole in the top cover and add oil, I believe 90 weight gear oil is ok. Then clean and seal the hole.
If this washer is rather old, you might need to clean the tranny spindle at the top to facillitate removal.
EMcVadon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:16:08 PM(UTC)
EMcVadon

Groups: Registered

Thank you, richappy, for the advice and information. The leak is not from on top but rather at the bottom from between the first and second of what appear to be three seals or bushings (large, white rings) on the shaft from the motor to the gear case. The oil there is mixed with white sawdust-like material that is coming from one of these rings. The white grindings and oil dripping and congealed oil were a total of less than 1/8 teaspoon. No new oil appeared overnight. We ran a load of clothes and got no further oil or white crumbles. Is some leakage common on this model or should there be no drips or leaks whatsoever? I wonder if it might leak only if there is severe vibration from an unbalanced load. I don't want to pull the transmission only to discover that it would have run for several more years as is. I've just cleaned it thoroughly to watch for developments as we use it. Am I right in the conclusion that it could leak slowly and intermittently for a long time without damage?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:51:33 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You are correct, just run it, I see leakage all the time, sometimes more than yours. I have never had a complaint on this so I would just let it run.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply