Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
quartermilecamel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:32:40 PM(UTC)
quartermilecamel

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have a maytag washer that will not spin the tub. I replaced the belt thinking that was it but belt still smokes when the motor tries to turn the tub. I can turn the tub by hand but I thought they were relatively easy to spin by hand. This one is tight. Tha agitate mode works. Ive taken the top ring off the tub and cannot see anything jamming the tub. I tried to take the agitator off which came off ok but Im assuming the special nut underneath that has to unscrew also to get tub out. I cant get that off. Im not sure where a parts list is for this model. I tried maytags website but all they want is for you to schedule a service call. Service calls cant be cheap.
Ok, just found the parts diagram. Still wondering what causes a tub to get tight.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 5:17:46 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

It may be that you have a brake release problem. Here is the service manual

http://www.servicematters.com/m...6010373%20(16001145).pdf

If you delve into it you will need a special tool.
quartermilecamel  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:59:02 AM(UTC)
quartermilecamel

Im reading the service manual but not quite sure how to check if the brake is stuck. Is there an easy way to check this? I saw where it says a dry brake has a squealing noise and to lube it with some kind of transmission oil. There is no noise when I manually spin the tub. If I knew how the brake released and engaged, I might be able to tell but Im not sure how the brake works...what special tool will I need? I have the spanner comming already that removes the nut inside the tup right below the plastic agitator.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:17:59 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Turning the pulley counterclockwise will disengage the brake and allow the tub to spin. Look at the service manual on pages 3-40 etc to see how this works.
quartermilecamel  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:02:45 AM(UTC)
quartermilecamel

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Turning the pulley counterclockwise will disengage the brake and allow the tub to spin. Look at the service manual on pages 3-40 etc to see how this works.

Ok I went downstairs and turned the pulley one way and that operated the agitate function, and I rotated it the other way, and that seems to have a springloaded turn of the pulley then it locks and if I turn it further, the tub will spin but tightly. Which means I have to dissassemble the brake package? No idea where to get this "special tool" Unless its just a bolt. Is the brake tool they are talking about in the manual the bolt washer and nut that is shown? I have a 12 ton press if needed to take the brake package apart.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:34:58 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

I think at this point I would advise you to have a professional tech do your service. It may be your problem is with the mechanism that releases the brake or with the brake itself. Since no diagnosis on a Forum can be 100% accurate I do not want you to have to purchase special tools and spend substantial time diassembling the brake and related parts and have that not be the problem.

The brake package is under a strong spring pressure, 200 lbs, and it is dangerous to work on it without the proper tools.
quartermilecamel  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:31:01 PM(UTC)
quartermilecamel

I think at this point I would advise you to have a professional tech do your service. It may be your problem is with the mechanism that releases the brake or with the brake itself. Since no diagnosis on a Forum can be 100% accurate I do not want you to have to purchase special tools and spend substantial time diassembling the brake and related parts and have that not be the problem.

The brake package is under a strong spring pressure, 200 lbs, and it is dangerous to work on it without the proper tools.

Do you have a manual that covers newer than 1997 models? I believe I puchased mine in 1999 or 2000
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 5:08:58 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

The manual that I referenced to you is what Maytag cites as the service manual for your model. Maytag manuals often cover model numbers that are not listed in the manual.

That is the only manual I can reference for you for your model.
quartermilecamel  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 11:00:50 AM(UTC)
quartermilecamel

The manual that I referenced to you is what Maytag cites as the service manual for your model. Maytag manuals often cover model numbers that are not listed in the manual.

That is the only manual I can reference for you for your model.

oh ok thanks. Anyway I took off the brake assembly and its still not free spinning. Theres still drag. Next, I will take off the outer tub. I already took off the inner tub.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply