Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Willinok  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:47:54 PM(UTC)
Willinok

Groups: Registered

I have a 1999-ish GE WPSF4170W1WW.

While washing a load last weekend, I thought I heard the machine making its normal spin-cycle sounds. (I was in another part of the house.) However, when it finished, I discovered the clothes sopping wet and a very strong smell, sort of like burnt rubber and dog urine (hey - that's what it smelled like!).

I have run several loads since then, small ones so as not to stress the machine, and have kept a close eye on it. Everything seemed okay - no funny sounds or smells.

Until earlier today.

This time I heard the spin-cycle sound, and it seemed unusual. When I checked out the machine, the drum wasn't spinning. But something inside WAS spinning, it simply wasn't engaging the drum. Using a screwdriver, I depressed the door swtich to see what happened. As the spinning sound started up, the drum sort of "bumped" a little bit, and then maybe 10 seconds later actually maanged to hesitantly make a half-turn, but otherwise nothing. When I let off the switch, the drum "relaxed" again, as if something had been trying to turn it but then was disengaged.

Does this sound like a bad belt? I haven't had a chance to look inside. I'm not even sure the spin cycle is belt-driven.

At the moment, I'm running yet another small load, and it's made it through the first spin cycle already with no problems.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.