Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chrisinomaha  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:29:09 AM(UTC)
Chrisinomaha

Groups: Registered

I have a 2 year old GE front load washer machine. The front gasket or door boot is ripped and needs replaced. I have ordered the part but was wondering if anyone has replaced this before and what are the steps involved in doing so? Do I need to take the washer machine entire apart or is it a simple install process?
Thanks,
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:27:47 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

It is not an easy task for the beginner. I have replaced many of them. It takes patience , needlenose pliers, phillipshead bit, 1/4 socket and ratchet, and a 10-12 inch extention. I can tell you how to do it, it takes me 30 minutes to replace, but I have had lots of practice replacing them. If your not very mechanically inclined, I'd have ge do it...let me know
Chrisinomaha  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:50:02 AM(UTC)
Chrisinomaha

abadfish66 -

If you don't mind giving me the steps involved that would be great. I am comfortable working on the washer as I have worked with electronics before and understand that patience is key. I was looking at it last night and got the first "O" ring removed and was able to remove the outer seal but it appears that it is connected in the rear as well. This is where I am looking for some directions or insight. Do I need to removed the cover to the washer? Some brief steps as to what to do first, second, third would be very helpful.

Thank you for your help.
Chrisinomaha
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:03:48 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

ok good, next you need to remove the bottom access cover, 3 screws. It will come right off. Now over on the right side of the boot is a screw that you need to loosen to be able to remove the boot. 2 ways to do this part. either loosen it and remove the band around the boot, or get a screwdriver and pry it off the boot...let me know when you get the boot off of the tub. You will need something long to get a phillips bit up there to the screw.
Chrisinomaha  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:48:03 AM(UTC)
Chrisinomaha

I wont be able to work on it further until later today. I have taken the bottom access cover off before to clean out the catch drain. I was able to see the screw on the right side but didn't know once I loosen it if their were additional parts to loosen or remove. Will you be on-line tonight? Does the new boot go on pretty smooth or do I need to heat it up to make it more plyable? If you have time go ahead and provide me with the full insturctions and then I can reveiw them and post later tonight if I get stuck. I really do appreciate all your help.
abadfish66  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:35:52 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

no additional parts after you loosen the screw. I like to use a 1/4 inch drive 1/4 inch socket with a phillips head bit inside the socket, Gives it just enough wobble to get the screw loose. once you loosen the screw grab the screw and the boot and pull off the tub. If the screw is loose enough it's easy to pull off. Don't forget about the little water nozzle at the top center of the boot, just pull it out of the boot. Now, take the clamp from the old boot, and put it around the new boot. You should see the lip of the tub where the boot will go into. This is where you need patience. Make sure the boot is centered, meaning the hole for the little hose is dead center. There is also a marking on the tub top center to line it up. Start putting the boot on the tub, I start at the top, and work your way around. You will be able to feel it going into the lip of the tub. Once you get it in, make sure the clamp is sitting in the groove, and tighten the screw up, Don't over tighten, but make it snug.. Now put the little hose at top throught the hole in the boot, smear liquid detergent around the hole and slide the hose in, make sure the plastic arrow lines up with the arrow on the boot. Put the front of boot back on the front of the machine, and the clamp, and your done.....
upatsix  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:27:27 PM(UTC)
upatsix

abadfish66, Thank-You for your info. It took me around 1 hour to do my first door boot seal. Hopefully my last. Ha Ha Again Thank-You
foxqueisser  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2008 6:23:04 AM(UTC)
foxqueisser

Hello,
I am a new user. I read your excellent instructions for replacing the front door boot gasket on a GE washer. These instructions were for Chrisinomaha back in May. The instructions were for a GE washer, model #WHO8X10022. The model #for my washer is WCVH6260. Are the instructions the same, or would they be different in any way? Thanks for your help!
abadfish66  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2008 7:00:38 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Fox, the instructions are the same. Actually your washer is the same as the other post, the part# used is WH08x10022.
foxqueisser  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:09:11 AM(UTC)
foxqueisser

abadfish,

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm going to order the part and give it a try! Wish me luck!

foxqueisser
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply