Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
B J Turner  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 5:02:29 PM(UTC)
B J Turner

Groups: Registered

My kitchenAid washer will not spin during the rinse cycle. It washes fine and the water drains out but when it is time to spin...it won't. It makes a loud noise as if the gears are out of place and rubbing against each other. Sounds like metal on metal.

The serial number for my machine is CG3306630 and the model number is KAWS977EQ0. I purchased this machine in November of 1997. Please help! Thank You.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2010 1:35:20 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hard to tell what the problem is. Check the spin basket, is it loose. If ok, remove the motor and pump and check the motor coupler for breakage. If ok, turn the tranny coupler clockwise and check for tranny noise or rough spots.
B J Turner  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:33:25 AM(UTC)
B J Turner

Thanks for your assistance. It appears as if the "base" of the agitator (part that sits in the bottom of the wash basket) is stuck and won't move during the rinse spin cycle. It moves fine when it is washing the clothes. But as the water starts to drain out it gets set in one position and won't move. When I shut the washer off and open the lid, it looks as if water has been thrown all over the place...top of the lid, top of the wash basket, etc.

The top portion of the agitator that sits on the base moves fine.

Could it need a transmission and a clutch? Or is this a relatively simple fix?

Thanks again.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:32:25 PM(UTC)
richappy

ift the lid, stick a stick in the lid switch hole, put it in spin, and describe what you see.
B J Turner  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:15:20 PM(UTC)
B J Turner

I stuck a stick in and it simply opens the flap (gray colored) where the lid piece (white plastic) fits into the hole. There does not appear to be anything there. I hope this helps. Thanks again.
B J Turner  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:23:30 PM(UTC)
B J Turner

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
ift the lid, stick a stick in the lid switch hole, put it in spin, and describe what you see.

Please disregard the earlier message.
When I followed your instructions to the letter :) ... the agitator started to spin...both the top and bottom pieces but it was if they were not in sync. It turned very slow and made a loud grunting noise as if they were not in alignment. After a few seconds (about 5) it stopped turning all together...both pieces.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:27:01 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would pull the tranny and test it. Turn the tranny coupler clockwise. The tranny will engage the spin gear and then turn the clutch housing. Turn it counterclockwise, the spindle should turn back and forth. Any strange noises or "rough" spots indicates a bad tranny.
B J Turner  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:43:14 AM(UTC)
B J Turner

Thank you so much for your help! I will let you know the final outcome! Take Care and God Bless!:)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply