Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chuck67  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:02:28 AM(UTC)
chuck67

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore washer that won't spin. Here is what I know:

1) Lid switch seems ok. When I push it down, I can hear the motor working, and the water pumping out, but no spinning.
2) The washer agitates fine.
3) The water gets pumped out fine.
4) During the spin cycle, the is a loud clicking sound, and the motor seems to be running.

So, based on what I've read so far, it could be the motor coupler, the clutch, or even the motor. I'm hoping that the loud clicking sound will be a clue to one of the experts here as to what is the real culprit.

(The age of 5-10 years is a guess. It's at least 5 years old.)

Thanks,
Chuck
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 5:48:25 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The problem is almost certainly not the coupling, since the machine will agitate, but check it on your way in to replace the clutch, which is the most likely problem when a machine does not spin.

If that does not fix things, then check the brake assembly (see Richappy's sticky on direct drive washer brakes) and check the drive block on your way to doing that. You will need a special spanner wrench to remove the brake tube assembly.
djock55  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:16:02 PM(UTC)
djock55

Check the timer,brass points could be burnt out.Disconnect the pump ,pop the motor out remove the drive coupler and pop the motor back in, turn the timer to agitate if motor spins freely motor most likely ok. Turn to spin cycle if does nothing but buzzes (most likely timer -mine was).Note if you know how you can also check motor with a meter. IF timer a $75.00 5 min. repair.However you will need a masters degree in engineering to figure out how to get the stupid timer knob off.:cool:
chuck67  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 5:57:07 PM(UTC)
chuck67

Thank you both for your responses.

Sidfink43, do you know if the correct spanner wrench is available on this site? I did see one spanner wrench, but my washer model wasn't listed in the description. Do you think it will work, or should I look somewhere else? I don't suppose that sort of thing is available at the hardware store, though I can pick up a meter there, if necessary.
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:10:37 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

There is a problem with Kenmore model numbers, there is like a zillion of them.

Anyway yours is a direct drive Whirlpool made machine and the spanner wrench is this

Part number: AP4503397
Part number: AP4503397

Unless you just want one, check out your clutch first as it can be replaced without taking off the spanner nut.
chuck67  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:51:54 AM(UTC)
chuck67

I have purchased the clutch from this site, and it has arrived. The directions say when to use the blue spring and when to use the black spring. However, I have a blue spring and a GREEN spring. I will do a search on this site for clarification on the spring, and also for directions for replacing the clutch. The directions that came with the part were probably not meant for a novice.

Thanks!
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 1:24:03 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

The directions are meant for the basic do it yourselfer, butr just match up the size spring with the one that was on the old clutch and you should be fine.

Somebody obviously wasn't paying attention.
chuck67  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:31:50 PM(UTC)
chuck67

Thanks for your help so far, Sidfink43.

At this point, I am trying to remove the transmission in order to get to the clutch. I have the three bolts out (the ones securing the transmission), but it is still stuck. Do I need to loosen the basket drive from inside the drum? Or is the transmission just stuck in place. I'll bang on it with a hammer, if you think that will help.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing how to get to the clutch without taking off the spanner nut. I can see it, but I don't see how to get at it.

Thanks!
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 5:25:20 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Do you have the agitator off? If so, the transmission with the clutch assembly will slide out, but you may have to work it a little to get it to do so.

You do not need to take off the spanner nut to remove the transmission, just keep playing with it.

Don't bang on it.
chuck67  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:21:10 PM(UTC)
chuck67

Ok. I replaced the clutch, and put the transmission back on. It turns out the brake cam driver was broken. Now, when I turn the motor shaft clockwise, the drum turns, but will a fair amount of difficulty. Is that normal? Do I need to replace the brake shoes, or can I just lubricate them? Or, is it fine?

I should also note that the rubber piece in the old coupler was torn up pretty badly. I have replaced that, but I thought that symptom might mean something.

Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply