Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomatofarmer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 1:53:11 PM(UTC)
tomatofarmer

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag model #mav5920EWW, Serial #26091556JC, top load washing machine, I believe I purchased this machine new in 2006. At one time I heard a metallic clanking sound and then it disappeared. The problem I am now having now is that the machine will not spin fast enough to get the clothes dry. The unit will spin in the spin cycle, but only spins at a slow rpm, approx. 100 to 120 rpm. I have checked the belt and it looks fine. The motor is not froze up on its base and it moves freely. The pulleys on the motor, pump, and transmission all turn freely with no looseness or gritty sounds or feelings that a bearing is out. The thrush bearing is lubed and looks to be ok. The motor turns the tranny pully clockwise for agitation cycle and then counter clockwise for the spin. Then plastic geared tooth part beneath the thrush washer has all its teeth and is working fine. The washer will go through all the wash cycles, and agitates really well. As soon as the spin cycle starts all the water is quickly pumped out of the tub and there are no restrictions or problems with the water not getting pumped out. The tub will then start to spin but will only spin slowly never getting up to the required rpm to thourghly get the water out of the clothes. The load is balanced and the washer is not jumping around. I have moved the clothes around in the tub and it don't make any difference. I removed the big plastic agitator from the inside of the tub thinking that maybe there was something wraped around the shaft under the agitator and there was nothing there. I removed the top to of the washer and then the big plastic rim that covers the inner metal tub and the outer plastic tub thinking that there might be a sock or something in between the tubs causing friction and not letting the inner metal tup spin up to par, but there was nothing there. I put the washer in spin cycle and layed on the floor and tilted the washer back just enough to where I could reach under it with a long screwdriver and I pryed on the motor base thus putting more tension on the belt. I could hear the motor labor a little more but the tub did not spin any faster. It looks like the motor needs to kick into a higher speed because the belt is rotating as fast as the motor will turn it. When the tub is spinning, I reached into the washer and grabed hold of the large plastic agitator and it jerks my hands and arms back and forth with alot of force and I can't stop it, however when I do this the metal tub will quit spinning. As soon as I release the agitator the tub starts spinning at its slow rpm again. There are no metal shavings or any signs of failure in the bottom of the cabinet. I am now sitting here looking at my washer with all the covers and top off, wondering what to tear apart and check next. ANY suggestions greatly appreciated. Thankyou
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.