Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgenth@insight.rr.com  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 7:10:20 PM(UTC)
kgenth@insight.rr.com

Groups: Registered

I have two questions:

1. I am replacing the tube bearing and cannot get the old collar off the the transmission. I am replacing the water seal as well. Any suggestions on how to get the old collar off?

2. I thought I needed center seal grease for this job (replacing the water seal and tube bearing). Where would is use the grease?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:54:38 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Use a generous supply of WD-40 or other rust buster. If you hsve to use force, make sure you don't damage the transmission tube. Once the old bearing sleeve is off, take emery and clean the shaft where the replacement sleeve will go. Don't overdo it; just get it clean enough that the new sleeve fits into place. It doesn't need to freely spin: it needs a little friction to work properly. I highly recommend you also replace the tub and stem support along with the new bearing. If you do, there is usually enough lubrication on the seal to make it work. Here's the part number for the kit. Part number: AP244279
brian mitchell  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:30:14 PM(UTC)
brian mitchell

Groups: Registered

I just replaced my tub/seal bearing on my maytag top loader last month, I went on line for very detailed instructions on this job, and they were not correct for my machine, be sure you are turning it in the correct direction, the part will come with limited instructions... mine was lefty loosy, but very hard to break loose (especially after going the wrong way).. I used a pipe wrench and a basher. the new part came greased,
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:01:34 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
To get the sleeve bearing off the tranny shaft, use a metal rod or punch, stick it in the tranny groove and pound up on the punch.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply