Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maxshiff  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:30:54 PM(UTC)
maxshiff

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Does anyone have the instructions required to re-install the Shipping Bolts in my Whirlpool Duet Washer before the machine is moved?

Max...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2008 2:51:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Max,

You can find the complete instructions in the "Use & Care manual" (page 17).

Gene.
maxshiff  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:48:45 AM(UTC)
maxshiff

Hi Gene,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have those instructions, however I already have the Shipping Bolts, and there are no instructions on how to properly re-install them in the machine prior to moving it. I just want to make sure it's done correctly before the unit is moved, and I don't want to damage the drum.

Max...
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:08:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Max,

I'm not very familiar with moving or relocating front load washers. Maybe someone else on the forum can help you better.

Gene.
bowersox  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:47:37 AM(UTC)
bowersox

I have a different model GHW9100 LW and I did not get the instructions either. In the Use and care book it directs you how to remove them. Thats easy they are orange and are obviousl but there are2 different size bolts and I do not have a clue how or where to put them, (be polite)
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:00:03 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I would recommend that your remove the top, which can be done by taking out three screws from the back, and looking to see if you can determine how the shipping bolts would go back in from that view.

If you cannot find a way to reinsert the bolts, an alternative is (with the top off) to brace the drum as tightly as possible by inserting corrugated sheets cut from boxes between the drum and the cabinet. Put in enough to tightly secure the drum.

Just be sure you remember to remove them after the move before you try to start up the machine. If you want to make certain to do this, tape a message on the machine to remind you including the number of sheets used so you make certain you get them all out before you use the machine.

Good luck.
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:24:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Found this on another site

Author was JTS1, perhaps it will help.

A total of four shipping bolts need to be installed: two longer ones on the bottom and two shorter ones on the top. Each shipping bolt consists of a metal screw inside a plastic cylinder which fits between the washer suspension and the back of the washer cabinet. The metal screw pulls the washer suspension against the plastic cylinder which, in turn, is pulled against the rear cabinet, thereby securing the suspension against the back of the cabinet. The Whirlpool part number is 285955. These bolts can be ordered from various suppliers for $20 - $30. To install these bolts, you will need a 13 mm wrench and a flashlight so you can see where the bolts screw into on the washer suspension.

The procedure is as follows:
1. On the back of the washer, remove the 4 plastic covers over the oblong shipping bolt holes. Carefully pack these covers with the water and drain hoses as they will be needed when the washer is re-installed in its new location.
2. Using the flashlight as a visual aid, look inside the oblong holes and identify the area on the washer suspension into which the shipping bolts screw. It is a white plastic part that is not directly behind the the shipping bolt holes, but is slightly above that level.
3.Look at the shipping bolts. The bolts described above (Part number 285955) have a a plastic arm at one end . This arm must be sawed-off for installation on older machines. You will have to determine whether or not the arm needs to be removed.
4. Starting with the bottom two holes, carefully slide a shipping bolt through the hole toward the front of the machine. Angle the bolt upward toward the screw mating hole, and carefully guide the bolt into the hole. Use the 13 mm wrench to engage the bolt into the mating hole.
5. Make sure that the plastic end of the bolt is closely seated against the back of the washer cabinet. Using the 13 mm wrench, screw in the lower two bolts, but do not tighten at this time.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the upper two shipping bolts.
7. After the plastic part of all 4 bolts has been firmly seated against the back of the washer cabinet, carefully tighten all 4 bolts.
8. Go to the front of the washer and push on the drum. The drum will rotate but it should not rock. If that is the case, then you are done.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply