Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HGailey  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:18:24 PM(UTC)
HGailey

Groups: Registered

This washer is about 2 1/2 years old and started leaking from the bottom of the tub. It looked like the "Bearing Tub" Part Details - GE Bearing tub, part number: AP2045289
had only one screw holding it on. Anyway I decided to just put it back together and suffer through the small puddles until I could work on it and get parts for it. The next time it was used it wouldn't agitate or spin. I looked for error codes but the light is out. I reset the machine and the light is still out. I tested for continuity at the fuse. It tested fine. I tested the lid switch and it tested correctly both lid open and lid closed. I assume the motor or circuit board is toast. Pricing these things I am torn between buying a new one or trying to fix this one. What are the chances the motor or circuit board can be repaired? My son has repaired computer motherboards, power supplies, etc, when he found blown capacitors he could replace. Are there any user serviceable parts that could salvage this machine for less than the $150+ cost of a new motor? Is there a motor exchange for rebuilt motors for this machine. TIA for any helpful suggestions.

Harold
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 11:20:53 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

An educated guess is that the water has shorted out the inverter. Here is a service manual for a model that should be close enough to your that will give you and your son (yeah, my son is smarter than me on this stuff also) some methods of checking it.

Google Docs

It certainly will not hurt to try and fix it, but you know, the folks at GE went out of their way to complicate up a rather simple machine, so in the end you may want to replace it. If not, buying the motor/inverter together is not a bad deal given its price.

Also, since your machine is not that old talk to GE and see if they will not send you a new motor/inverter and let you put it in.
HGailey  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 6:26:07 PM(UTC)
HGailey

Also, since your machine is not that old talk to GE and see if they will not send you a new motor/inverter and let you put it in.

Thank-you for your quick response. Also thank-you for the repair guide. For the parts I seem to be having trouble with, this guide will be very helpful. I will send an email to GE and explain my predicament but I don't hold out much hope for any help from them.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement, I will now begin the disassembly and see what happens.

Harold

Got the motor out and the circuit board off and found a burned resistor on the board. All the capacitors look intact so I will be removing the resistor and trying to find a replacement. This job doesn't look easy since the circuit board appears to be clearcoated with a rubbery substance, presumably to protect the circuits from water. Anyway I figure I've got nothing to lose, it's already broken. If I can't get it working this weekend I may try to part it out and get a replacement washer. There was only one screw on the bushing tub but I don't see any drawings or photos of the area to confirm there should be 2.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:45:54 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out, particularly with GE. I share your pessimism, but you never know.
HGailey  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:29:50 AM(UTC)
HGailey

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Sounds good, let us know how it turns out, particularly with GE. I share your pessimism, but you never know.

I'm most happy and little surprised to report the washer is running again. I went to EPO here in Houston for the resistor, didn't have a clue how to find what I needed but got some help from a friendly cute counter girl who wasn't sure if one of the bands was green or blue so I bought one of each for a whopping $0.14 plus tax for a grand total of $0.17. The repair wasn't pretty since I did it myself, the resistor sits about 1/2" above the board but it is working so far. It threw a 4 flash error code which wasn't unexpected since it had stopped in the middle of a cycle. I reset it, it did all the right moves and right now it's running a test wash of my youngest son's clothes. I may still have a leak issue but if the machine is going to continue running I won't have a problem buying a new seal for a future repair weekend.

Thanks for your help and support.

Harold
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:32:54 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Fantastic, I have been avoiding repairing boards for a long time but see that I will have to start doing so in the future.

Glad you were able to get it fixed and thanks for the update. We have had people repair Maytag Neptune boards but I think this is a first for the GE.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply