Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
akparekh  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:18:34 AM(UTC)
akparekh

Groups: Registered

I have a GE washer that will not spin. I have been thru a few steps to troubleshoot, so here are the sequence of events.
1. First the spin cycle was very slow, so the clothes were remaining wet.
2. After reading the posts at this forum, I noticed that the circuit board was showing 4 flashes indication. As per instructions, I open and closed the lid more than 5 times in the first 10 seconds to reset the machine. Now, the circuit board shows only 1 flash which seems to be the normal standby condition. (See the service codes attached)
3. Now when I run the machine, the spin cycle does not start at all. It remains stuck in the pump cycle only. The timer does not seem to move the spin position at all. When I check for power at the white wire (pin 2 in the 5 pin connector) in the circuit board, I do not get any. So somehow, I think that the circuit is not getting closed to make it move to the spin cycle.

I am wondering if this would be a timer control issue or would this be a motor issue. Or something else?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
File Attachment(s):
31-16512.pdf (883kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 10:33:11 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

GE will not release technical data on their machines, so I can only give you the generic answer which is if power is not getting to the inverter board when the machine is in spin and the lid switch is closed then the timer is likely the problem.

First check the lid switch, though as it is a far less expensive part to replace and could be giving you the problem.
akparekh  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 5:30:06 PM(UTC)
akparekh

I had bypassed the lid switch, but did not see any change in behavior. I have checked the continuity on the timer as well and it seems to be making the correct connections as per the chart that GE provided.

Does anyone know how the timer switch moves from one cycle to another? Does it move based on time or does it move based on receiveing some signal from the motor/inverter? My though process is that if the inverter circuit is not signaling the end of the pump cycle, the timer may not be switching to the spin cycle automatically. Is this possible?
akparekh  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:35:49 PM(UTC)
akparekh

Just replaced the motor. This fixed my problem. Spins properly now.
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:08:53 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Great, it was probably the inverter which is built into the motor assembly. GE in its wisdom does not allow just replacing the inverter.

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply