Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
philko  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:45:27 PM(UTC)
philko

Groups: Registered

I smelled something burning (smell of burning rubber or insulation) in my house and sniffed it out to the washer. The washer had stopped in the middle of the rinse cycle and was doing nothing.

I unplugged it for a minute and plugged it in again. Now, wherever in the cycle I try to start it, all I hear is a humming sound.

Question 1: What's the easiest way to drain the water that remains after bailing it out?

Question 2: What's the likely problem? Is it worth the trouble to repair?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 6:51:22 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Please post a model number so we can see what you have.

Thanks
philko  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:48:41 AM(UTC)
philko

Model number is MAV6260AWW
philko  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:54:59 AM(UTC)
philko

FWIW: I'm able to spin the agitator with no resistance at all.
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:05:15 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

This is one of those difficult problems to analyse without being there. I suspect your transmission has failed, causing the motor to be unable to spin or agitate, but lets check out some things.

1. If may be something is jammed in the pump, or the pump has broken. Take off the front and check out the pump to see if it turns freely. If not, replace it.

2. Try to turn the transmission pulley in each direction. If you are unable to do so the transmission itself has probably failed.

3. If the transmission is ok, take off the belt and put the machine in spin mode. If the motor does not turn the motor may be the problem.

To get the water out disconnect the drain hose from the pump. Be prepared with a container to drain the water into.

Here is a service manual that will help with all this.

http://repair2000.com/Li...maytagatlantiswasher.pdf
philko  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:33:15 PM(UTC)
philko

Okay, I took the front panel off, leaned the machine back a bit so I could reach under and move the belt and pulleys.

The pump spun freely in both directions. The transmission spun freely in both directions. The motor pulley spun freely in both directions.

Given that everything was spinning okay, I didn't remove the belt, but I did start the machine in the spin cycle. There was the same humming noise I heard before, followed by a steady stream of smoke coming from the top of the motor.

Can't get much more "smoking gun" than that :)

The repair manual talks about a "motor switch", as well as the motor itself, but the online parts diagram makes it look like it's all one unit. Is the motor switch a separately replaceable part and, if so, could it be the cause of the problem (like if it were never releasing the "start" winding)? Otherwise, I guess that I just need to replace the "motor assembly", right?
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 5:13:40 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yep, your smoking gun is really smoking. It is almost certainly the motor, not the switch. The new motor should have the switch mounted on it, but if you want to you can confirm that if you telephone in your order.

That should fix it, let us know how it turns out.
philko  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 6:00:59 AM(UTC)
philko

Good news: I got the new motor, installed it and the macine runs through a cycle now.

Bad news: It's not draining. It gets to the end of a cycle and the washer is still full. If I then activate "extra rinse", the water will drain. From what I can tell from the service manual, if the drain at the end of "extra rinse" is working, then the problem's not with the pump. So what else could it be?

Also, since I can ensure that the water drains by activating the extra rinse, I can catch up on my laundry backlog now, but I'm worried that the problem I'm seeing now may have been there originally and is what caused my motor to die. Am I just being paranoid or is this a real possibility?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply