Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
toomuch  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 6:17:28 AM(UTC)
toomuch

Groups: Registered

I figured this would be as good as place as any. I apologize in advance if the link already exists....But I need a new washer. Its clear that some brands just dont hold up that well and others outright defective in their design. Were simple people and are fine with a top loader.....Was looking to spend bewteen 400-600 on a new model.....We have kids so frequecy of washing will be on the high end....Could any of the "pro's" who service these machines make some recommendation by model and brand.

Thanks in advance

Molly
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:22:11 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Molly

Well, cannot quote a model, but very strongly suggest a no-frills top loader made by Whirlpool (Kenmore and Roper and Estate are the same) or GE, Maytag or Frigidaire. If I had to choose a brand, the Whirlpool product is the one I would go with. The only switches you need are a temp selection and load selection (water level).

Don't overload it, use the recommended amount of detergent, don't stick a blanket or rug in it (thats why the invented laundromats) and it will last for years. If it needs repair, the repairs will be easy and less expensive than a front loader.

The one thing you want to avoid is any machine with microprocessor or electronic controls. You can get a very good machine for about $350 to $400 at most stores, and if you watch the sales you may do even better.

Just because we are curious let us know which machine you get.
toomuch  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 6:07:32 PM(UTC)
toomuch

Thx for the response. I have definitely latched on to staying away from the front loaders and stick with top loaders. Maytag and Kenmore have read have really diminshed in quality. Whirpool is what I was leaning towards but when I went to Consumer reports the 2 models I was looking @ got slammed. And Consumer reports rated the one I was most interested in dead last. I know not to take Consumer reports as the bible but at the same time was a bit dishearting to read.
Anyways the two Whirlpool models I had in mind were
WTW5300VW This one I was leaning towards

WTW58ESVW

Click here to comapre http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/comparison_detail.jsp?categoryId=115&productId=1479%2C1452&compare=1479&compare=1452

I'm not locked in on Whirlpool..It seems as each manfacture has its downfalls. GE bad motors. LG decent but getting parts horrible. etc. If anyone could recommend a model by any brand I would be most appreciative
Qtip  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 7:28:58 PM(UTC)
Qtip

I completely agree 100% with everything sidfink43 has posted.
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 6:57:04 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, a couple of points

1. You should pay between $350.00 to $400.00 (plus tax, delivery and extended warranty if you want one, don't recommend it for these machines) for the machine. Anything more and you are just getting some semi-useless bells and whistles which add little to the machine but do make it more complex. Look at the big box stores on line, there are very good deals right now.

2. Forget Consumer Reports. There ratings are based on non-scientific sampling or testing on a single machine. Almost all machines listed on aline at a retailer have user ratings and comments which you can access when you look at the machine. For example, the Whirlpool models you mentioned seem to be a noisy. This is seems to be part of the Whirlpool brand.

3. Whirlpool, Maytag and some Kenmore are all made by the same company. Determine the type of machine and the features you want, then go to the retailer you trust that has the best price. Check the stores, you may find a floor model or scratch and dent for as little as $300.00.

4. LG stands for "(L)ottsa (G)oshdarn" luck getting it repaired. Stay away from foreign brands. We may not do everything right in the country but we make really, really good appliances, particularly basic machines.

Those of us who reply on this Forum are volunteers. Part of our motivation is to save people money, so if you spend more than $400.00 for your machine, good luck but please don't tell us about it.

Hope this helps.
toomuch  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:08:09 AM(UTC)
toomuch

Understood...on all points and definitely on the same page...But no Model # recommendations....going basic no frills top loader? If you were picking a model just like you mentioned either by Kenmore or Whirlpool could recommend a specific model
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:43:54 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, I would like to recommend a model, but then you would come back and say "on what basis do you recommend that model" and I would have no answer for that question. Being basically an honest person (at least where money is not involved) I cannot give you unsupported advice. The only way a specific model can be recommended is from a source that has a good sample of that model, and no single person has that sample. A sample of one or two is just anecdotal and simply not reliable.

That is the reason I suggested you use the ratings from actual customers. If you go to the website of your preferred retailer you can browse the models, find one that suits you and then find and read the reviews posted there and elsewhere. You will find some folks thought the machine was great, and some had major problems.

Based on the number of reviews, what they say and the percentage that found the machine acceptable or good, you can make an informed decision. These are people who have actually bought and used the machine, and collectively their opinion is far better than mine. I can only advise on a general basis, the specific machine is beyond my expertise and beyond the expertise of anyone who repairs the machines. We just do not have the factual database to go there.

Look, you can always get a lemon, but if you buy the U.S. made top loader without microprocessor controls or complex electronics the chances are very good you will get a nice, reliable machine regardless of the brand name or model number. That's what I did. I have three kids, a wife who thinks clothes should be washed after each time they are worn (not necessary in my opinion particularly if the smell is not too bad but she insists) and a 14 year old machine that has only required a $20.00 part in all those years. You are likely to have the same experience.

Good luck, but you should be fine.
toomuch  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:03:26 AM(UTC)
toomuch

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Well, I would like to recommend a model, but then you would come back and say "on what basis do you recommend that model" and I would have no answer for that question..

It sounds like you truly are an honest person. And I appreciate that, I will not back you into a corner, nor will I pelt you with a a million questions on your rational in fact I wont ask you one in regards to your rational

Your advice regarding ready reviews is solid and thats what I have been doing. However the reason I came to these boards in the first place is to hear first hand, namely in regards to model #'s . Its clear in doing just as you suggested that specic models are prone to having a shortcoming whether the motor or somether other re-occuring issue. For example I read the reviews on the Whirlpool WTW5300VW the automatic temp control switches between hot and cold once every 1 to 3 seconds for the entire duration of filling the tub" this has caused problems for people specifically water hammering. But then in looking @ the Kenmore 500 series I also see they have an Automatic Water control. So a type of question I may have are the ATC controls specifically with the Whirpool's problematic and prone to causing water hammer issues? Or is this a potential issue for any machine that utilizes a ATC board. The answer to this type of question will not be answered by reading reviews, but I figure by comptent honest repair people like yourselves. And I figure if you recommend a model # these type of considerations will be factored in. Which is advice that no matter how many reviews I read will not be able to be answered by anyone but yourselves because they are not in the "trenches" day in day out seeing these issues first hand. My decesion is essentially made up Toploader 350-500, no frills etc.

Recommend 2 model #'s along these lines and the next post I make will be a review of my purchase in hopes of helping the next person in my boat down the road.
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:45:56 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, a couple of things.

1. You are right about the reviews, but it is because some times the person writing the review is not competent. Water hammering does not occur because of the ATC or anything else in the washer, it occurs because of a problem in the plumbing having to do with high pressure and air in the system. GE motors are fine (some models have an inverter, which is the kind of electronics you stay away from).

2. Folks like me work on older machines, we do not have experience on newer machines because (a) they are under warranty and repaired by authorized techs and (b) they have not had time to go bad.

3. We don't really focus in on model numbers, but we do pay attention to the technical and engineering design. Guess what, underneath almost all basic Whirlpool, Kenmore, Roper, Estate, Inglis and recently Maytag front loaders it is all the same. They use the same parts and they have been doing that for over two decades. These machines are direct drive, they do not have a belt. GE and Frigidaire do have belts. And inside the basic GE models they are all pretty much the same. And inside the basic Frigidaire models they are all pretty much the same. We can repair these machines with our eyes closed, (and I sometimes do).

The design on these machines is time tested, they are well built and easy to repair. If you have trouble with one, it is because of a random event, not anything in the design or manufacture. You take your chances, just like with anything else.

I cannot recommend a model because within a given class and brand they are basically all the same. The more expensive have semi-uselss bells and whistles that just complicate things.

4. Let me illustrate with this model.

The insides of this machineWhirlpool - 3.5 Cu. Ft. 14-Cycle Super Capacity Plus Washer - White

Model: WTW5200VQ

are the same as they have been for over 20 years.

This machine has a separate water temp switch. seperate water level switch and a switch for a 2nd rinse. These switches have been the same for decades. The timer is easy to changeout and is not expensive. Inside is a motor, pump, coupling, transmission etc that are all time tested for decades.

This machine is currently on sale for $382.49 at a site you can easily find. There are 9 reviews, with 4.2 rating out of 5.0. The major complaint is noise, but blaming a Whirlpool washer for being noisy is like blaming a frog for being ugly.

This is not a recommendation but let me put it this way, if someone gave me a $800 fancy front loader I would leave it at the curb. If someone gave me this model, I would take it.

Good luck, but find one you like from a store you like with a salesperson you like and you will be fine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply