Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mawagner  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:37:15 PM(UTC)
mawagner

Groups: Registered

I'm 95% sure that I have a bad brake or spin bearing on my Maytag LAT3500 Dependable Care washer. I followed diagnostic tips found in various forums: Washer works fine except for no spin; tub doesn't budge while in spin mode, so transmission is probably okay.(?) I have the service manual (#16010373). I flipped the washer over and took off the belts and drive pulley -- no sweat. Next is the brake assembly. It supposedly screws out of the "damper", but I can't for the life of me get the @#$% thing to break free! :mad: I don't have the $pecial $panner wrench that Maytag says I need, but I get LOTS of torque with my improvised chain tool and big cheater bars, one of which I use to hold the damper and transmission still. I'm afraid I'll shear the shaft or bust the damper before this thing screws out! What am I missing? Yes, I removed the screw and retainer clip that anchors the brake housing. I have also sprayed penetrant on the threads and let it sit for a day. Haven't tried putting a torch on the damper yet.

My brake assembly is a little different from what's depicted in the service manual and from what I have read about on these internet forums. Refer to pics below. First of all, the two outer halves of the assembly (aka "brake housing" on the top and "brake drum" on the bottom) are crimped together rather than bolted. So I guess this is a later version of the brake that was never meant to be taken apart. The assembly also has a raised splined section in the bottom center (drive pulley side -- see 1st pic) that I don't see in the manual. I thought it was a separate lock washer, but I'm pretty sure it's just molded into the drum, maybe to provide a way to unscrew the brake assembly with some other type of spanner wrench.(?) Can anyone out there tell me if I'm an idiot that is doing something stupid or if I just need to really lean into my cheater bars? Thanx.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.