Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paulgdav  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:18:25 AM(UTC)
paulgdav

Groups: Registered

I do not really know the age of the machine but I took a guess at 5 years. I have had problems with this machine in the past but it was due to rats eating the tubing and wires. I fixed that and it ran fine for the last 4 months. No Rat problem either.
Rght now it starts and runs normal through the cycle until it gets to the rinse part of the cycle. then it stops and does nothing.
There are 2 cycles on this machine and both of them do the same thing. I have a brand new timer and I installed that thinking that might be the cause. It did not change a thing.
Does anybody have any idea of what I should be looking for? I opened it up and everthing looks to be normal.

Thanks
paul in Gabon Africa
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:28:11 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Rinse uses cold water, if your cold water will not run when it gets to rinse it will just stop and not do anything.
If this is the case check to see if the strainers in the hoses are clogged. Then check to see if the strainers in the valve are clogged. If the strainers are not clogged and the water pressure is good replace the water valve. Do not leave the strainers out they are there to protect the water valve, if trash gets in the water valve it may stick open and flood the place. Hope this helps!
Clothes Washer Repair Guide
paulgdav  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:44:33 AM(UTC)
paulgdav

Originally Posted by: applianceman Go to Quoted Post
Rinse uses cold water, if your cold water will not run when it gets to rinse it will just stop and not do anything.
If this is the case check to see if the strainers in the hoses are clogged. Then check to see if the strainers in the valve are clogged. If the strainers are not clogged and the water pressure is good replace the water valve. Do not leave the strainers out they are there to protect the water valve, if trash gets in the water valve it may stick open and flood the place. Hope this helps!
Clothes Washer Repair Guide

This may change your mind on the water valve being the problem. We only have cold water hooked up to the machine. It fills up fine during the wash cycle. It is set on Cold/Cold. I really think it is something electrical

paul
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:54:06 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Yes that does change things.

I will look into it more for you.
applianceman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:11:50 PM(UTC)
applianceman

I am looking at the wiring diragram and right now I am stumped, I would say it is the timer for sure only you changed it already.

I need to know exactly what it will and will not do.

I am assuming that it will fill, agitate, pump out, spin, and then stop before the second fill. Is this correct or am I missing something?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:05:48 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You will need a meter to check things. I assume there is no voltage to the water solenoid at this point in the cycle. just check. If so, then I assume if you dump water in the tub, it will run normally, ie, agitate and spin out. If no voltage, sometimes a new timer can get contact contamination. You can spray the contacts with a non-residue contact cleaner. If the timer is plastic, just spray in a seam by the contact assembly, if metal, just remove the cover. Turn timer while spraying. If still no voltage, trace the cold water solenoid wiring up to the timer, might be a bad wire where it goes into the timer socket, or the socket might not be pushed in the timer all the way.
paulgdav  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:54:16 AM(UTC)
paulgdav

Ok in responce to Appliance mans request I went back and ran it through the cycle again.

The setting that I use are:
water--Cold/Cold--I only have a cold water hose hooked up to the cold valve. The hot valve is not hooked up at all. Never has been.
I have it set on "Small" load
I used the "Easy Care Permant Press" cycle-- the "regular" cycle acts exactly the same.

It Start to fill with water.
It finishes filling with water
It starts the wash cycle
It goes through the "cool down" cycle
It empties the water
Timer goes to "Rinse"
Nothing happens from this point on.
Timer is pointing exactly on rinse
Timer does not move again
the machine does not spin or anything.
I waited for at least 5 minutes

Thanks for your input
paul
richappy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:07:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

The water level switch is waiting for the tub to fill up. Timer motor will not advance the timer till the tub fills up. Same diagnosis, you probably have a lack of voltage to the water solenoid.
applianceman  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:58:07 AM(UTC)
applianceman

If there isn’t voltage at the valve I would think it would have to be the timer. Try what richappy suggested and spray it with contact cleaner. It will be odd if the same contacts in the new timer were bad as the ones in the old timer.

Then check for loose connections, make sure the plugs are connected the timer good and tight as well as the wire on the valve.

If there is voltage at the valve and water isn’t filling you have something weird going on such as the coils on the water valve are working then heating up and opening up (electrically).
richappy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:00:34 AM(UTC)
richappy

I read an engineering study for contacts that supply relatively low current. The low current lacks the energy to burn off contaminants so all the munufacturers make the contacts slide slightly when they make or break. Aso, within the timer, they may use a different set of contacts for rinse and wash, or a different wire for the two and one may be broken.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply