Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lesizmor  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2010 7:04:22 PM(UTC)
lesizmor

Groups: Registered

My front loader stopped spinning. Water will come in and drain. I've read the door lock switch could be the culprit, and mine had begun sticking a bit over the last year. However, it's not stuck now and I am not sure, given another post ruling that out if the washer filled and drained, what else it might be. I can hear it humming when it should be turning, but no turns-- not to wash and not to spin. There is a loudish vibratey sound. I took off the kick-panel. The noise comes from whatever that little box/curved covered thing is down at the front right, where the hoses attach. Any suggestions are appreciated. Sears will offer a $219 option for a year to fix whatever comes up or provide a $500 voucher toward a new machine if the repair exceeds that. Trying to determine what it might be so I can fix myself or know what I'm likely facing. Thanks very much and Happy New Year!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

lesizmor  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2010 11:06:50 PM(UTC)
lesizmor

Forgot to leave the model no. It's a Kenmore 417.42042100. Bought it between 5 and 7 years ago or so.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:16:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Reach inside the tub and turn the spin basket. If you feal "rough" bearings, that is your real problem. Post results.
lesizmor  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:43:07 AM(UTC)
lesizmor

Thanks for your reply. No rough spinning when I turn.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:32:21 AM(UTC)
richappy

There is a data sheet behind the front kick panel. If you have a meter, you can do some diagnostic tests.
lesizmor  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:13:37 PM(UTC)
lesizmor

Thank you. I found that. I don't have a meter, maybe that's going to have to be my next purchase. Where do you test at? For instance, I don't know what to apply the meter to in order to test the door switch, which from other posts looks like a potential culprit. I would assume it's up on the inside near the door itself, but maybe not? If it is, how do you get to it? Thanks again for taking the time. This is a great forum.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 1:10:16 PM(UTC)
richappy

Usually a no spin is due to either the timer, reed switch on the soap dispensor
drawer, a blown speed control board, or a door latch/switch. These speed control boards blow if the tub bearings start creating a lot of drag on the motor at high spin. Make sure the meter you buy has an amprobe.
Seems like you may have stuff stuck in the drain motor. Remove the hoses and clean out. Make sure the pump impeller is ok.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply