Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bdrendel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:52:35 PM(UTC)
bdrendel

Groups: Registered

I had a timer on my Whirlpool LSW9700PQ0 washing machine that stopped advancing, so I ordered a new timer from this site (Part # WPL 8557301). After installing the new timer, the timer now advances but may have other problems. For example, when I select "spin only" cycle, in permanent press mode, water sprays into the tub during the "spin only" cycle. I do not remember the old timer doing that. Clothes are now coming out soaking wet. Is it possible that I was sent a bad timer. Should I ask for a second replacement timer, or are there other things I need to look at first?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2009 1:38:29 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Seems like the timer is not advancing in the spin cycle, is that true?
If so, I would turn the timer knob a few sycles and try again, you might have a little contamination on some of the timer contacts. Instead of returning the timer I would spray the contacts with a non-residue contact cleaner available at Lowe's and see if that works. Turn the timer knob while spraying.
bdrendel  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2009 10:54:38 PM(UTC)
bdrendel

I will try the non-residue contact cleaner as you suggest, but no, the timer does advance without added assistance. It finishes the cycle as you would expect. It just seems wrong that it is spraying during the "spin only" cycle and sprays some right at the end before it stops.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2009 1:42:57 AM(UTC)
richappy

Other possabilities are a cold water solenoid taking a longer time to shut off, or a timer cam problem where the motor shuts off before the cold water shuts off.
Another possability you didn't notice before, your washer might not get up to full speed due to a bad clutch, try the normal cycle to see if it works there.
bdrendel  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:23:09 AM(UTC)
bdrendel

I have run the washer in all different modes (normal, permanent press, etc... with about the same results). The tub does appear to spin fast during the spin cycle, though I don't know how I would tell if it was going a little slower than it should. Here is another interesting piece to the puzzle. If I stop the spin cycle just before the very end, the clothes are wet, but not soaking wet. Just before the spin cycle turns off, it sprays about 10 seconds of fresh water on the spinning clothes. Then the spinning and water spray turn off at the same time. Now the clothes are very very wet. If I then select the "spin only" portion of the timer, lots of water gets sprayed in and the clothes are very soaking wet. At all times the timer does advance and I don't hear any unusual noises during the spin cycle.

Another symptom that I have noticed. When I start a new load of laundry, as soon as I close the lid the agitator starts. I thought in the past, it would fill with water first before the agitator started, but I may be wrong.

So, looking at your suggestions... if it was a bad clutch, would I expect to hear sounds notice it spinning slower? How can I eliminate that as not being the problem?

And how about the cold water solinoid? How can I verify it is ok? Is there anything I can test with a DVM?

Since this new behavior started with the new timer, I may be wrong, but I really expect it to be the timer. Any further help would be appreciated.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:16:40 PM(UTC)
richappy

Do the following tests:
Turn on the timer to the wash cycle and let water in. Does the water stop as soon as you turn the washer off.
If so, do the tranny coupler test in my "sticky" replacing direct drive washer brake shoes and post results.
You have a plastic timer in this, unfortunately I have NEVER seen one of these fail, but I guess anything is possible. I read an engineering report on timers and tests show that contacts that supply small amounts of current, like solenoid current, can get contaminated and fail due to the very low current supplied. This low current will have insufficient power to burn away contamination.
bdrendel  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:01:40 PM(UTC)
bdrendel

I completed the first easy test:

I turned on the timer to the wash cycle and let water in. The water stopped as soon as you turned the washer off. Repeated with lid both open and closed with the same results.

I have not yet completed the second test:

Next, you say I should do the "tranny coupler test" from your "sticky." I found the document and there is a lot of detail there (http://forum.appliancepartspros...-washer-brake-shoes.html) . Reading through it, am I correct to assume that you want me to do what is outlined in the second paragraph? That is to remove the pump and motor and turn the tranny coupler clockwise till basket starts to turn.

If so, I have found all the diagrams for my washer on this website (Top and cabinet parts replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LSW9700PQ0 Automatic Washer | AppliancePartsPros.com) and located the motor, pump and transmission on the underside of the washer. Now to save me time stumbling around, could you provide me a brief description of what steps I take to properly remove the pump and motor to complete this test. Is it just a matter of removing the four metal retainer clips? Should the motor/pump assembly pull away then and then I be able to manually turn the coupler?
richappy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:14:25 PM(UTC)
richappy

Yes just pry off the metal clips and remove the pump and motor.
One other thing to check is if the timer connector is not seated all the way in the timer, this will cause problems.
Also, you might try Radio Shack for the non-residue spray; not available at local Lowes.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:28:13 PM(UTC)
richappy

If you call this parts site and explain the timer sprays water on the clothes just before the end of the spin cycle, they most probably will ship you another timer. We have covered all other possabilities. Post results.
bdrendel  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:37:14 PM(UTC)
bdrendel

I was able to remove the pump and motor. I turned the coupler clockwise to and I could get it to turn the basket, but it took some force to do so. I am not sure how easily this is supposed to turn.

I still have to find some non-residue spray and re-seat the timer to make sure I have good connection.

What's next?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply