Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boltman  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:54:22 PM(UTC)
boltman

Groups: Registered

I hope someone can help with this problem. This is a Whirlpool Calypso. Has not given any problem until this week. The problem occurs towards the end of the wash cycle and most of the way through the rinse cycle. It sounds like it stalls for about a 1/2 second. It will restart and try again tor about 2-3 seconds then repeats the cycle of stalling for about 1/2 second. It sounds like the motor is trying to start and can't. The lights on the console never go out when this happens, and no fault codes appear on the display, but the time displayed slows to a crawl (if it shows 22 minutes it might take 40 minutes to run the cycle). If the machine is left alone it will eventually finish the complete cycle most of the time. I had a normal wash cycle start with 43 minutes on the timer and it actually took 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete. I have downloaded the service manual and attempted to run the manual diagnostics, but do not understand what the manual means by "Key Dance key press #1 etc. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Trapper76  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:17:48 AM(UTC)
Trapper76

I just went through repairing my Calypso Washer. It would stall at the spin or rinse cycle and keep trying to go again. No fault codes and the timer would never count down. Thought I had a pump problem or level pressure switch but it was not. After tearing down the internal tub assembly I found that the bearing on top of the leveler was worn out causing friction on the inner drum so the motor would sense the over current and kick out then try again. Over and over this would go on. The bearing is a 5 dollar item but when I tried to pull it out of its housing of course it broke. I purchased a new U-joint Kit from Appliance Parts Pros .com as they had the best price on the net. Hope this helps.
boltman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:33:05 PM(UTC)
boltman

Hi Trapper:

I had picked up a drain pump/motor before I got your response. I decided to try the pump and see if it was the problem. I ran the machine with no clothes first time. It worked fine. Ran the second load with clothes and the machine still has the same problem. You have described exactly what this machine does, so tomorrow I'll tear this beast apart and see if the bearing is tight. I reallly appreciate your help and will let you know what I find. Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trapper76  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 4:07:08 AM(UTC)
Trapper76

Since my last posting I have solved my problem. The u-joint was not my only problem. I also had a bad machine control card. Part number 661640. But this number has been replaced with 8571359. [FONT='Times New Roman']Bought a new one off **********. :) Life is good again. Thanks for your post because I would have sworn the pump was the problem. Thanks[/FONT]
heatheron  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 8:13:06 PM(UTC)
heatheron

Originally Posted by: Trapper76 Go to Quoted Post
Since my last posting I have solved my problem. The u-joint was not my only problem. I also had a bad machine control card. Part number 661640. But this number has been replaced with 8571359. Bought a new one off **********. :) Life is good again. Thanks for your post because I would have sworn the pump was the problem. Thanks

how do I get access to the machine controllr
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply