Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ch0mpie  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:15:03 PM(UTC)
ch0mpie

Groups: Registered

Searched the forum and didn't see anything about this so I guess I'll explain the situation.

Started the other night, while starting a load of laundry, washer filled up then there was a burning smell. It was in cold water mode. Now everything works normally if its in hot water mode, but if its in cold water mode it will not fill up during the wash cycle only. However, if you put it in cold water mode and manually turn it to rinse, it will fill up(with cold water) and complete the wash cycle normally. What do you guys think?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 12:59:22 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Wrong again Fiesty, Remove the pump and motor and inspect the motor for burnt start windings. If you have an amprobe, check the motor current at the input power cable, if higher than 10 amps you have a load problem, usually bad brake shoes.
ch0mpie  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 1:18:42 PM(UTC)
ch0mpie

Originally Posted by: feisty63 Go to Quoted Post
possible the strainers to inlet water are stopping up where the hot and cold water come in to the washer from sedement like iron rust or sand clean them by removing the cconnection hoses and look in there or could be the timer

Strainers look fine. Plus in the rinse cycle cold water flows like a champ. Timer was my initial thought, but thats a lot of coin to drop considering I don't know if thats really the problem.

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Wrong again Fiesty, Remove the pump and motor and inspect the motor for burnt start windings. If you have an amprobe, check the motor current at the input power cable, if higher than 10 amps you have a load problem, usually bad brake shoes.

Removed the motor. Windings are not burnt, and I doesn't smell toasty. I'll borrow a meter to check the amperage if you still think thats it. Any other thoughts?
ch0mpie  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 1:31:29 PM(UTC)
ch0mpie

My wife just let me in on another tid bit. On the timer there is a "Super wash" setting. Basically just a longer wash cycle. A couple months ago she pulled out the timer knob to start a super wash, and the same burning smell came out. From that point foward the super wash was not working, but all other wash cycles worked normally.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 3:34:52 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remove the cover of the timer and look for burnt contacts, or burnt marks on the plastic cam that turns.
ch0mpie  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 4:14:23 PM(UTC)
ch0mpie

Got it. While I was messing with the cover on the timer I noticed a loose wire. Thought I checked all the wires but apparently not. Tightened it up and its working now. Thanks for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply