Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
krpncak  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:31:05 PM(UTC)
krpncak

Groups: Registered

Washer pumps alll the water out at the end of rinse cycles and the motor continues to run (with a faint rattling noise from the gearbox) but does not engage the spin gear.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

krpncak  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:51:00 PM(UTC)
krpncak

I have read about 20 pages from this Forum of posts of problems that are somewhat similar to the problems I'm having but none of them are quite the same as mine. I have the direct drive motor/gearcase and I'm assuming that the motor reverses for the drain/spin function. The brake,clutch and motor coupler have been inspected and all appear to be in good shape. The gears work the way they are supposed to with the gearcase removed and turned by hand. I have had it apart and back together several times and the latest test after putting it together produced water filling, agitation and draining but no spin (the first trial, after that there was no agitation or spin) Now it will only filll and drain. Can soomebody guide me as to what to try next??
Qtip  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:15:33 PM(UTC)
Qtip

When putting the washer casing back on to test it again do you remember if you attached the lid switch connector? it will be hidden under the control panel. if that connector is disconnected that would stop it from agitating or spinning
krpncak  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 3:13:05 AM(UTC)
krpncak

Thanks for the reply. Yes the lid switch is connected. On that same note...I saw a post in this forum discussing what was eventually diagnosed as a timer problem in which cycling the lid switch on and off let the gearcase do its thing and the machine would spin. I wonder if I have a timer problem?
krpncak  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 3:38:34 AM(UTC)
krpncak

I should add tho..cycling the lit switch does not cause the washer to spin. I can hear the pump running after the water is pumped out but no spin and this is very confusing to me. I know the motor is running and the coupler is ok. so that means it is turning the gears in the gearbox...why no spin??
Frank / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 6:39:57 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: krpncak Go to Quoted Post
I should add tho..cycling the lit switch does not cause the washer to spin. I can hear the pump running after the water is pumped out but no spin and this is very confusing to me. I know the motor is running and the coupler is ok. so that means it is turning the gears in the gearbox...why no spin??

Below is a manual that may help you. If you're sure it isn't the coupler, then you may want to start reading pg 13 forward.

http://appliancejunk.com/directdrivemanual.pdf
krpncak  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 6:47:58 AM(UTC)
krpncak

Thanks Frank, I'll read it. The coupler is fine. Another thing I want to mention: I have the cover off and I filled it for a short was cycle and when it came time to agitate I saw (and heard) the motor start and it sounded like it was running but the shaft was not rotating to turn the gears
Frank / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 8:30:26 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Thanks Frank, I'll read it. The coupler is fine. Another thing I want to mention: I have the cover off and I filled it for a short was cycle and when it came time to agitate I saw (and heard) the motor start and it sounded like it was running but the shaft was not rotating to turn the gears

Well, my first thought is still the coupler, but I know you've checked it.

I guess the next thing to do is remove the pump and motor again and hand turn the the transmission both directions and see what happens.

If things turn when turning by hand, and the motor is actually running, recheck the coupler.

Not sure what else to provide, other then going over that manual to make sure everything in the transmission is moving like it should be.
krpncak  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 9:39:29 AM(UTC)
krpncak

Frank, thanks for pointing me back to the coupler, the side next to the motor was wallowed out by the motor shaft. when I put it back together the last time and it agitated for a few minutes was what fooled me. Now I know that it should have fit much tighter on the shaft.
Thanks Again,
Ken Prater
Frank / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 10:00:16 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Frank, thanks for pointing me back to the coupler, the side next to the motor was wallowed out by the motor shaft. when I put it back together the last time and it agitated for a few minutes was what fooled me. Now I know that it should have fit much tighter on the shaft.
Thanks Again,
Ken Prater

Glad to help. We'd sure like to sell you one!

Part number: AP3963893
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply