Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brettski  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:26:51 AM(UTC)
Brettski

Groups: Registered

During the wash cycle, and after the drum fills with water, the washer goes dormant. No agitation, no noise. The timer continues to click along. At the end of the wash cycle, the water pumps out fine and the spin works fine. During the rinse cycle, after the drum fills with water, the agitator kicks on as it should, strong and firm.
I pulled the agitator. The pawls at the top are fine. The spline at the bottom is fine (both male and female).
We replaced the motor coupling 5 months ago (2nd time it was replaced in the 14 years that we have owned the unit, from new).
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:49:43 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Take off the cabinet and observe the machine during the wash cycle. If the motor is not turning when it is supposed to be agitating then it is likely the timer is not sending the proper signal to the motor switch to make it operate. Replacing the timer should fix the problem.

Here is the part

Part number: AP3099917
Part number: AP3099917

but you should consider whether or not you want to spend that kind of money on a machine this old.
Brettski  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:47:00 AM(UTC)
Brettski

Groups: Registered

Thank you for the timely reply, sidfink.
After a little more www research, I decided to open it back up and verify that the vaccum switch hose for the water level was intact and functional. I found it to be very pliable and tightly sealed at both ends. I used the butt of a screwdriver to to lightly tap on the vaccum switch body...just cuz.
Before lifting off the larger lower machine cover, I had to disconnect an electric harness that ran from the switch panel and down into the back side of the machine. I noted that it slid apart very easily; the terminals were not snug at all. When I reconnected it, I worked it back and forth/in and out to assure some level of conductivity between the terminals of each connector block.
When I reassembled the machine, it worked fine. :confused: :eek:
I don't expect that I necessarily had alot to do with the fix, but who knows? I doubt that tapping on the vaccum switch yielded diddle for improvement. The electrical connector block, tho, could be a player. Is that possible? It did not contain many wires, so it makes me doubt that it could directly affect the agitator and nothing else.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:57:54 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Yep, those connections will do it every time and glad you thought about that before spending the money to replace the timer. Since it agitated during the rinse cycle it did not seem like a wiring/connection issue, but it was.

Nice going, and thanks for the update.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply