Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dpalatka  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 2:47:48 AM(UTC)
dpalatka

Groups: Registered

My 2001 Maytag Top Loader Washer is vibrating BIG TIME during the spin. I have already ensured that the feet are secure on the floor and the machine is completely level. What is the problem and can I fix it myself?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 7:55:01 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the front panel off and check for white shavings under the tub. If so, you have a bad snubber. Go to my snubber replacement article in the general section.
dpalatka  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:08:06 AM(UTC)
dpalatka

Thanks for answering me....but where do I find "how to replace your snubber" article in your general section? Which screen do I go to and what do I choose? THANKS
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:32:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Go to " general Talk" section, second page.
BTT  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 6:24:20 AM(UTC)
BTT

I am having the same problem. I read your instructions in General Talk about snubber replacement but I had a few questions. When you say go buy "6 8-32, 1 1/2 inch screws and replace the short ones on the snubber housing and back them off symetrically till the spring tension is released"', do I do this before I try to get the snubber out or do I just replace the screws with this type for better function? Secondly, do I need to take the "big pulley" off of the bottom and how hard is it to get it back on correctly. I have the washer completely broken down to this point and have the part but I just need a little guidence from this point. Thanks.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 6:34:01 PM(UTC)
richappy

If you have a performa washer, the procedure is actually easy.
After reading other articles, they say you do not need to pull the pulley off, just back off the housing screws, one by one till you can wiggle the snubber out, then clean the surface,sprinkle corn starch in there, and replace the snubber. Just be careful, the spring has a 200 pound tension, but if it lets go, the pulley will prevent personal injury.
I have never done this, so I appreciate affirmation that this is correct info. Please post results.
BTT  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:55:14 PM(UTC)
BTT

I replaced the snubber with no problems. Thanks for your reply. I should of changed the brake assembly while I was at it b/c I think that it is the real culprit of my spin cycle problem. The snubber replacement hopefully will help solve some of my balance problems. It doesn't spin at all so I think maybe the brake isn't releasing. This was the problem I was having from the very beginning along with it wanting to walk across the floor. I bought the screws in the size that you recommended but they don't seem to tighten so I am going to try a slightly larger size.
BTT  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 7:25:44 PM(UTC)
BTT

Ok, it is finished. I have replaced the brake rotor and stator with new parts and the problem is gone. Replacing 3 screws with longer ones to release the spring pressure works so anyone who reads this and the other posts, save yourself the money and go and buy 99 cents worth of 10-24 X1 1/2 screws. Total cost for me to repair was about 35 dollars and about 1 1/2 hours of time. Ok, 2 1/2 hours if you include standing and staring at the machine, going back and forth to read stuff on the computer and fending off my wifes comments of, "I think we just need to go out and buy the Whirlpool Duet". The only thing I might of included was replacing the pulley and bearing kit but for 40 more dollars, I will save that for next time. Thanks again for the help.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:28:21 AM(UTC)
richappy

Good work, I will use your info when I first do this job. I am glad my info was good. Thank God for the brave souls that first do this job successfully and report their procedure.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply