Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
srbakall  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 6:11:51 PM(UTC)
srbakall

Groups: Registered

We have a Kenmore with touchpad, digital timer that does not drain and spin well. Last week it did not drain and spin during the cycle. I took off the cabinet and removed and reconnected the lid switch , rubber banded it closed so I could watch the cycle sequence. I was able to get the tub spinning by hand and it finished the cycle OK. My wife ran a cycle and it did not drain completely and spun off slower than normal I believe because of the water. Stopping and restarting did not help. If I let the cycle finish and just add the spin and drain option it goes for the 8 minutes and works well. When I had the cabinet off I checked the motor ,coupling and pump all were able to be turned by hand. Is there a solenoid somewhere stuck? I reviewed a few pages back and reviewed the whirpool post with referenced service manual and it looks just like ours except for the mechanical timer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:16:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Either you have a bad clutch, short spin period, or something partially blocking the pump.
With the washer empty, set the washer to spin, hold the lid switch down and just lightly hold the spin basket from turning. If it is easy to prevent the basket from turning, you have a bad clutch. Please post results.
srbakall  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:34:53 AM(UTC)
srbakall

I set spin drain option. Started with hand on side of basket and it started to spin slowly. If I put more pressure it will stop. I pressed stop and restarted with different pressures. I can prevent it from moving with fair amount of pressure. I hear some water draining too. Should I take it apart again and check out the pump for blockage?
srbakall  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 4:45:22 PM(UTC)
srbakall

richappy- Thanks for the advice! I started to look for a blockage after checking spin speed. I also read other posts and checked the current draw at the plug with an extension cord. Got 6 - 7.5 qmps at spin , agitation. started to check all hoses for a blockage and found a men's sock stuck in the hose (basket to pump). Couldn't see it till I removed the hose! Can't figure how it got thru the basket but after removing the agitator I can see three black plugs under the agitator, the 4th hole doesn't have one. Can't figure out how else it got thru. Now my wife wont stop teasing me that it was one of mine not hers! Needless to say it works fine now after I put it back together. Thanks for your help! First time to work on this machine. I had worked on my Mom's Maytag vintage 1955 which still runs well except for a rusted tub basket which I painted over with POR-15 to seal it up. Only replace a solenoid over 50 years!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply