Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JARG  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 5:37:56 AM(UTC)
JARG

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool Washer Model GSQ9611KT0. It agitates fine but when it gets to the spin dry cycle, the tub drains but the tub itself does not spin. At first I had heard a clicking noise and found that a motor coupling had broken. This is now replaced. The tub almost seems like it is trying to spin but even when I help it (with something holding the lid sensor down) it still can't spin on it's own. And lastly there is a very little bit of a friction burning smell that I can barely detect. When I had it apart to replace the motor coupling I did open up the gear box and everything at a quick glance looked OK. Any idea what is preventing the tub from spinning. Also the unit is about 8 years old now. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:49:19 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Assuming you did not disturb anything when you opened the gear case then replacing the clutch is a likely solution. Here is a site that will show you how.

Clutch Replacement on Whirlpool and Kenmore Washers

Check the pump for obstructions on your way in, and make sure you did not cause any binding when you replaced the coupling.
JARG  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 5:43:50 AM(UTC)
JARG

Groups: Registered

Actually, it was kind of funny. After I posted my note, a link at the bottom of the page showed the exact same problem reference. So I felt a little bit foolish for not finding the existing statement. But it was the clutch. I've replaced it and all is well. The one odd thing was while struggling to get the motor and gear box removed a brass pin fell out so somewhere that I can't identify. I've gone over all of the exploded views for the washer and can't seem to find any picture that includes it. It basically looks like a 2 inch nail with a hole at the end near the sharp tip and it is flat for the entire length on one side. I could not figure out where it went so for now I've put it back together without it and everything seems to be working... I hate when stuff like that happens. But again the washer is working again and the clutch was the correct answer. Thanks for the response. :)

LOL, I just double checked and saw that you were the person who supplied the correct answer to the other post I found with the same problem. So either way you answered my problem as well. Thanks again for the help.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 8:22:18 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Great, glad you got it up and running.

That pin (there are two) is held in place with a plastic "cup" but does not seem to matter a great deal, so if it works ok don't worry about it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply