Discuss

Replacing wigwag in Kenmore/Whirlpool machine

in

Washer Repair

. "

Is there a trick to installing a new wigwag in an older Kenmore washer? I got the old one out

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Replacing wigwag in Kenmore/Whirlpool machine

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:05 PM

PhxVerde is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing wigwag in Kenmore/Whirlpool machine
Brand: Kenmore   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Is there a trick to installing a new wigwag in an older Kenmore washer? I got the old one out with some difficulty, although neither the old wigwag or the shaft show any signs of corrosion. I noted the split in the end of the shaft and thought the new one would slide right on, but I cannot get it to go down at all. Due to the location in the machine, it is very difficult to apply much downward pressure on it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Have you removed the locking screw from the old wig-wag? Do not screw it in the new part until it is in place. Make sure the plungers shafts are positioned in the right directions (into the solenoids).

Tilt the washer to the front and put some supports under the rear legs. You can adjust the shaft position by slowly moving the belt is any direction.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 AM

Thanks Gene for your suggestions. I have not started the locking screw yet and the plunger shafts are started up into the solenoids. I finally got the wigwag started down on the shaft by employing a crowbar and a piece of 2x4. That thing fits so tight on the shaft I can't imagine even needing the locking screw. By pulling up on the crowbar with all my might, enough to lift the rear of the machine off the ground, I was able to get the wigwag to probably 3/16" of where it needs to be. I hope I don't pull the entire transmission off the machine with all the effort required to slide the wigwag on. I have even lubricated the shaft to try and get the wigwag to slide easier, but I don't think it helped much. Seems like it would have helped to have the hole in the wigwag be just a bit larger in diameter.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

If it's not too late you can file the shaft with a fine file or a sandpaper. It would not damage the shaft.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Success!

Thanks Gene for all your helpful suggestions. Early this morning, while the metal in the shaft was in a contracted state from the overnight coolness, I was able to finally force the wigwag on the rest of the way, secure the locking screw, and reattach the wires (in the right order!). The machine still ran after all the abuse I have been giving it, and what's better, the spin cycle actually works... Yeah!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

You are welcome. I'm glad you were able to fix it. Good job!

Gene.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.