Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bscmich  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2009 8:15:12 AM(UTC)
bscmich

Groups: Registered

Here it is in a nutshell...

Timer seems to function fine. Will fill on all settings. Will drain and spin on all settings. In wash mode (agitate) timer seems to work fine, loud humming coming from motor. I can move the belt in both directions, doesn't seem to bind at all, but motor does not start spinning. Within 15 seconds, motor gets hot and thermal switch trips. After about 10-15 minutes I hear it click and and can start the machine up again. I know these are 2 speed motors that go in both directions and can work in one direction (spin) but have a problem in the other (agitate?). My assumption at this point is bad motor. Anything else I should be checking or is this most likely? Thanks for any input.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:36:04 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Based on what you post, and given that transmission pulley turns freely I would have to say the motor is the problem.
bscmich  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:40:48 PM(UTC)
bscmich

Thanks for your reply on this. I found a used motor/pump/mount assembly complete on ******** for $55. Already shipped and should have tomorrow. I'm confident it is the motor as everything else checked out ok. Thanks again.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:57:26 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Sounds like a good deal, let us know how it works out.
bscmich  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 2:42:27 PM(UTC)
bscmich

Got my used motor and installed. SAME PROBLEM! At this point I have to assume it IS the timer. Dont I? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 3:11:57 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

I don't think it can be the timer, as I cannot see how that would cause your motor to overheat and shut down. It could be in the wiring to the motor, so check it but I am doubtful again that your problem resides there.

I assume your belt is ok, or you would have replaced it, and it sounds like you got a pump with your new used parts, so I would focus in on the idler. I would do two things.

1. Operate the machine with the front cover off and see what is happening. See if the motor belt and transmission pulley are all turning when the motor overheats and shuts down. It may be that your pulley is out of round so even though you can turn it by hand, it may be that the motor cannot turn it. You can also observe if the idler system is working correctly.

2. If you cannot find out anything from step l, operate the machine without the belt and see what happens. If the motor shuts down you have a problem in the motor and/or pump.

This one of those times I wish I was there to see it, so let us know what you find out, I think we are all kinda curious now.
bscmich  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 8:19:52 PM(UTC)
bscmich

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I havn't ordered the timer yet as I am waiting for some more input. So, I have been operating with the front panel off to get a close up picture of what is happening at the moment of over heating. For example, I'll set the load to gentle cycle, min water level, cold/cold and start the machine. The timer starts ticking, water will begin filling as usual. The key moment is when the water finishes filling and the wash (agitate) cycle begins. At that moment there is no movement whatsoever at the motor, just a buzzing noise. In other words, it does not "try" to move then bind up. In fact. I can freely move the belt/pully in both directions at that exact moment. These are the exact same symtoms with both the original motor and the replacement motor. Both motors while out of the machine spin freely in both directions and "feel / sound" the same while doing so. IMPORTANT - I have NOT replaced the belt yet as it appears OK but does show some wear. Could these syptoms be possible with a belt that is somewhat worn and/or stretched? It really seems like something electrical as again, the motor doesn't seem to even try to move at the begining of the wash cycle. What type of wiring and/or circuitry is there between the motor and the timer? If the timer is faulty would that effect the voltage or current going to the motor? Thanks again.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:10:16 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, this must be National Confusion Day, because yours is just one of a series of fairly inexplicable problems.

Your motor will bind up and overheat if (1) there is an internal problem, which should not be the case since you have replaced it, (2) if something is jammed in the pump which should not be the case since it was also replaced and the motor turns freely off the machine or (3) if the transmission were binding which is not the case since you could turn it and it turns freely.

I would check all the wiring, conduct the test in this tech bulletin which I think will cover your model even though your model number is not listed, and if all checks out, replace the belt.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16022739.pdf
bscmich  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:28:01 PM(UTC)
bscmich

Problem solved! Was the timer after all. Found a new one for $42 online, arrived today, installed in 10 minutes, done. Had it narrowed down to the timer or motor after research. Now I have a back up motor which I paid $55 for. Still saved $$$$$$. Thanks for your input.
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:12:09 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, glad you got it working and thanks for the update
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply