Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jdrds17  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:02:27 PM(UTC)
jdrds17

Groups: Registered

I have a Roper RAS8333PQ0. It was spinning slowly and would sometimes not spin at all during drain cycles. I thought the problem was dragging brake shoes, so I did the brake shoe replacement service including new brake shoes and a new clutch assembly. The motor coupling was in near perfect condition, so I did not replace it. Also, I pulled the basket while I had the spanner nut off and did not find any foreign objects between the basket and the outer tub. After the service the spin is definitely faster. However, the spin engagement of the basket is still intermittent. On draining after the rinse, it seems to engage about 50% of the time. On draining after the wash, it seems much less - probably less than 25% of the time. Simply opening the lid far enough to trip the lid switch to turn the machine off and then reclosing the lid will get the basket to engage - no manual turning of the basket is required. Also, during reassembly I checked the coupler input to the transmission before replacing the motor - it was easier to turn than before, but still not easy. Do I have a transmission problem? Possibly something else? Thanks for any assistance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2009 11:39:42 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

See Richappy's sticky on direct drive brake shoes. If it is difficult to turn the transmission shaft in a clockwise direction using the plastic coupling piece then you probably have a transmission problem.

I would first remove and reinstall the brake tube and transmission just in case you have something hung up from your previous work.

Good luck.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:36:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Another possible problem is a jammed thrust washer that sits on top of the tranny. If not seated right, it will partially jam the spin tube.
jdrds17  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:21:59 PM(UTC)
jdrds17

Groups: Registered

Well, I disassembled the pump, motor, and gearcase/clutch assembly. Everything seemed in order and the spin tube thrust washer seemed to be correctly seated. There was some grease splattered about (I think I over did it a bit when installing the new brake shoes) which I cleaned up. The transmission input turned easily and smoothly with it disassembled and I could engage both the agitate and spin modes. Also, turning the basket by the brake cam driver was easy and smooth. Not knowing what else to check I reassembled the the transmission/clutch to the basket drive. At this point turning the transmission input by hand was a bit harder, but maybe easier than last assembly but hard to judge. It shouldn't be totally easy since you are compressing the brake spring, correct? I completed reassembly and lo and behold the washer seems to be running fine. I've got at least 5 complete cycles with no missed spins! Thanks again for all your efforts and hopefully I won't have to revive this thread sometime later!
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:49:19 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, that remove and reinstall works sometimes. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply