Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crystal368  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:17:31 PM(UTC)
crystal368

Groups: Registered

updated the tutorial with more detailed info, few more pics & edited the embedded text to contain more details. the aboutthistutorial.txt file found inside the zip has been redone to also contain more detailed, specific info.

easier for everyone is a FreakShare link to download the zip & avoid email attachment limitations. please use google & download a free zip utility program if needed. here's the link:

http://freakshare.com/files/2w7...EasyNOV09rev-a-.zip.html

Just completed my neptune bearing repair. The job was made easier by info found here & other forums. Thought I'd give back by posting a picture tutorial of my experience & maybe someone facing the same repair will find this helpful. There are 14 pics with comments, maytag manual, maytag technical bulletin & 1 text file. Highlights include home made, cheap bearing seating tool, close-up pics & severely corroded aluminum housing that was salvaged using JB Weld.

The maytag manual & tech bulletin were found elsewhere on the web but I can't remember where to give credit-not my work for sure.

The repair was actually quite easy(for me!) & soooo nice having a non-leaking, whisper quiet machine again!!

edit added 03/13/2012: please use the new FreakShare link. It's free. Just wait for the countdown clock to reach 0 then the free button will activate, nothing to buy & no need to register. It is a zip file.

crystal368
File Attachment(s):
aboutthistutorial.txt.txt (7kb) downloaded 250 time(s).
crystal368 attached the following image(s):
SimpleBearingSeatingTool.jpg
seatingRearBearing.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 10:20:36 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Thanks for doing this. Can you post your e mail address so folks can get the information from you.

We are seeing more and more of the Neptune bearing failures (I had two this week) so this is very timely.

Thanks again.
NeptuneHelp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:49:39 PM(UTC)
NeptuneHelp

See Neptune Bearing for help with replacement bearings, 12002022 seal kits, bearing spacers and the tony tool rental program.

If you are a technician and you would like to replace the Neptune bearings instead of the outer tub see Neptune kits for ordering the tony tool and bulk bearings.
crystal368  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:58:04 AM(UTC)
crystal368

a few things about the frequently mentioned tony tool........

it's a quality crafted piece of equipment that's a definite value for those repair novices. it will streamline the process, make it safer, prevent damaging the outer tub and remove much of the anxiety homeowners may have.

however, it's NOT a required, must have tool. there are other methods available that will go a long way in keeping expenses to a minimum - other than the cost of parts. the bearing seating tool in my first post can be assembled for approx $10 & a cheap bearing puller can be had for $25 or less. a puller is optionable but without it you'll need to commit more time & patience to bearing removal. i prefer using a 3-5lb mini sledge & heavy pipe or drift. make contact with the outer ring/race of the bearing. careful not to gouge the relatively soft aluminum housing. don't use a short piece of pipe that will guarantee you hitting/cracking the outer tub should you have a mis-directed swing of the sledge.

other than my time, price of seal kit & bearings, my additional cost for seating tool, jb weld & rotary wire brush...about $20....making the entire repair less than $80.

in the world of bearings i'd rate this a '2' on a scale of 1 to 10, and that's only because of the spacer that resides between the two bearings - needs to be centered so the spindle shaft can be inserted. of course, if you've never laid eyes on a bearing and/or never been inside a major appliance then i understand rating this a 10 on the difficulty scale.

..........and that's where the cost of the tony tool is completely justified and represents a good value.

here's a few more pics.............

crystal
crystal368 attached the following image(s):
WeepHoles.jpg
frontbearingJBweld.jpg
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:38:28 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Again, very good comments, and I think most if not all of us would agree with what you have have posted.
crystal368  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 1:41:28 PM(UTC)
crystal368

the tutorial has been revised; pics added, more details & the aboutthistutorial.txt file has been redone with more details concerning the repair process. a megaupload link has been added to the first post for direct download. ty.
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 1:46:47 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, thanks
Barnaby  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:24:50 AM(UTC)
Barnaby

Thank you so much for your work. I am in the middle of a bearing replacement and this thread is quite helpful. I have a couple questions for you:
The pvc adapters you used for the bearing tool, I know you said they are 2" fem adap w/cap and a 2x1/2" bushing,... did you have to modify the pvc fittings? I imagine you had to at least drill a hole in the cap. Thanks again for your work!
B

ps. re: Tony Tool. It is one thing to mention the quality of a tool, (the tony tool certainly seems like a well-crafted instrument) but to be considered a value at the outrageous price of $450 (I think, maybe more with s&h) when a replacement tub with bearings installed is $500 I think is much too kind. If I were a serviceman using the tool a few times a week or even a month is one thing, but joe-homeowner looking to save money on a big repair like this(that's me) is SOL... until now! Thanks again for the advice on making the tool.
Peace
contractorkev  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:38:09 PM(UTC)
contractorkev

This was very helpful info!!!

The spinner support (pn 22003925) should be replaced as well. The new lip seal design is supposed to cure this problem in the future, and looks like a much better design. Part costs $100 but includes the $40 lip seal. Took me about 3 hours with no prior washer experience.

Many thanks to the forum and especially this post. My washer is new again
Aboonski  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 3, 2010 6:00:07 AM(UTC)
Aboonski

I would love to see photos of how the spacer is placed between the bearing and the seal. My machine is the MAH5500BWW. I somehow left out the spacer during reassembly because the instruction sheet that came with the bearing kit was so vague. When I pulled all of the old parts out there was a spacer in with the "residue" (you should have seen what was left of the bearings and the seal!). Any help would be much appreciated!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply