Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dagwinn  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:47:57 PM(UTC)
dagwinn

Groups: Registered

Our washer agitates and pumps dry, but it doesn't spin. So clothes are, obviously, soaking even after a full cycle.

I investigated and read that it might be the clutch, so I replaced the clutch assembly and break cam driver. That didn't solve the problem.

In the process, I noticed that the inner drum appears to have dropped. More clothes are getting caught up underneath it, particularly toddler socks.

In looking at the online instruction videos and thinking back, it seems like our drum has dropped .75 inch.

The attached photos show what I remember it looking like the last time I took the agitator off and what it looks like now.

I realize it's an old washer. But any advice would be appreciated, particularly if I'm just imagining things and it's actually the way it's supposed to be.
dagwinn attached the following image(s):
Shouldbe.jpg
asis.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 2:11:09 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Your drive block and brake/ basket drive tube are worn out. The silver tube that is beneath that plastic piece should have squared cornered tabs sticking up that engage a block that supports the basket. They engage the drive block. Notice the worn off corners...it probably made a thunking noise went it stopped spinning for a while and then the lip of the block wore away until the block just slid down.

If you've changed the clutch you can do the basket drive too, it's just above it and not hard to do, but more complex. You'd need to pull basket out first, which may not be easy at this point. The drive block fits into the tapered part of the basket. You'll need a special spanner to pull that main nut off, it's the one with the 4 notches. If you can get the nut off and the basket out a mallet will drive the drive block upward off the tube.

If all that happens without drama, then you pull trans and clutch as before and pull the drive tube out from the bottom.

Realistically, unless you love this machine you can find a used direct drive similar to it for $100 on craigslist and save yourself a ton of work. It would take me about 90 minutes to do this work if all went well. You'll probably spend most of an afternoon.

Parts if you really want to do it, not including spanner wrench.

Whirlpool WP389140 Washer Drive Block - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool W10820043 Basktdrive - AppliancePartsPros.com

If you're a DIY guy it's totally possible to do, just is it worth doing?
dagwinn  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 2:18:48 PM(UTC)
dagwinn

Thanks!

You fairly accurately guess the experience with the thunking noise, etc.

I've actually got the spanner to remove the basket. So that's not a problem. I think you're right. I probably could do the job.

However, I've got other things to do with my time, we developed a backlog of laundry from 4 kids, and Lowe's has a similar washer on sale (although not direct drive).

We've had this one for more than 10 years. It doesn't owe us anything.

Thanks for the explanation!
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 6:47:12 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

I'd fix before buying new... new ones are miserable, poorly made, and prone to early failures. If you get 5 years out of it you've been lucky.

I'll take a 10 yr old direct drive like yours over anything made today, other than maybe Speedqueen models; which are basically old designs still.

I tell customers that routinely. I have a 15yr old version of that one you have. They lasted for 20yrs frequently. I see them from the 90's pretty often. They aren't energy or water efficient but easier on the wallet than a new one.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply