Discuss

Need to trick Whirlpool Front loader

in

Washer Repair

. "

I can't get the model number right now but this problem is driving me nuts. I moved from a place

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Need to trick Whirlpool Front loader

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 PM

mr-canada is on a distinguished road
Default Need to trick Whirlpool Front loader
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I can't get the model number right now but this problem is driving me nuts.

I moved from a place with W/D hookups to a place without. The washer is really nice and I didn't want to get rid of it because there's no W/D here and no sense dealing with the PIA of a laundromat when I have a killer washer.

Problem is, I had to put it in the carport, and there's only cold water hookups there. The washer is too smart for it's own good.

It tries to use a little bit of hot water even on the cold setting, which trips a sensor somewhere, and it stops mid cycle in the wash cycle before it completely fills and starts a full tumble cycle because it doesn't detect that the water is warm enough - even on cold.

I have no ability to run a hot water line to this area, the place is a rental and doing so would mean drilling holes and running copper pipe through the living room which is not only unsightly but unfeasable. I *guess* I could jerry rig a hose to the kitchen tap and snake it all the way from the kitchen to the carport at the back of the place but that's equally rediculous for a couple squirts of hot water.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can trick this washer or disable this feature so it can just run straight cold? I have a Y adapter running cold to both hot and cold intakes on the washer, so it's not a matter of water supply.

Right now the only fix is to unplug the washer when it gives a beeping error code, plug it back in and start it again, do this a few times until it gets enough water in it that it doesn't need to fill anymore, then it will run a full cycle. The alternative is when it gives the code to unplug it and then set it to "Rinse and Spin", but it doesn't go through the full tumble cycle with the soap and clean the clothes.

This problem is driving me nuts. I want to just throw clothes in the darn thing, press the button and have it work. I only use liquid HE2 soap optimized for cold water, its really annoying that lacking a few squirts of hot water for a cold wash is causing all of this.

I talked to an appliance repair guy up the street and he told me to try just unplugging the sensor but disassembly of this washer is a serious PIA and I fear that it's a thermocouple; if the thermocouple doesn't generate a current due to finding the heat then the thing probably won't run at all and the problem will persist.

Anyone have any experience in dealing with this sort of a problem? Washers are too smart these days. I love my washer, but when I set it to cold, I just want it to use F-ing cold water and stop trying to outsmart me.

LOL. Any help would be appreciated.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.