Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CreativeGirl  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:59:10 PM(UTC)
CreativeGirl

Groups: Registered

Its a GE washer, five years old, model # GTWN4250M1WS.

It won't stop draining and move to the next cycle.

Initially, there was a loud noise. When I took the clothes out, they were wet. I unplugged the machine, waited, replugged. It worked for ONE load of laundry.

Then...again, loud noise. Wouldn't stop draining. I was able to swtich it to quick rinse/spin cycle and it worked but then never again.

I "reset" it by unplugging it then replugging and opening and closing lid six times in 12 seconds. Didn't work.

I replaced the drain pump which when I had opened it, was VERY noisy.

Yet, it still washes, drains, and gets stuck draining. Sometimes it FINALLY stops and does nothing. Othertimes, it won't stop no matter what. I can't even unplug and replug to set it back to start and wash again.

Please advise. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:05:40 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

A few things about these washers:
1) Doing the lid thing clears error codes from the motor computer memory. If a problem really exists it'll just return the code again. You'll want to be able to see the code so don't erase until checking. Read on to see how. There are motor codes you need to visually see on the motor and others you can see in field test mode.
2) These have a fixed pump out when cancelled, paused too long, errored out or unplugged. It will restart that entire pump out cycle when plugged back in. It is not based on the presence of water or not. It can be 3-5 minutes, seems like an eternity when you're standing there. Interrupting by unplugging it just starts it over.

So on to what might be happening - pop the front cover off and locate the pressure hose where it connects to the tub. It'll be the thin hose on the left. Make sure that that hose is not clogged with soap residue, also check the nipple where it mounted. If there is built up soap in there blocking the hose or nipple it will cause problems with how the machine determines water level. For instance it will not recognize an empty tub and continue trying to pump out. Or possibly overfill if extreme.
That's the first thing to look at on this style and older GE when they have water level, spin or drain issues and the pump is actually pumping water out.

GE still provides a tech sheet. The link below might be it. If not it'll be in the console. There is a diagnostic LED that flashes on the motor control computer which is part of the motor. It's difficult to see if you don't know where it is, you'll need to be at the level of the motor and off to the right, it is between the motor top and the computer board. It flashes codes and they are explained in the tech sheet. In stand by it flashes 1 sec on 1 sec off, in normal ops it's .5 sec on/off. Errors are a series of flashes you'll need to count.

That tech sheet also has the process to enter/exit test mode, but basically you hold start and turn the knob 180 deg. There are a series of tests you can run if needed.

This is a very similar tech sheet, I think it also works for your machine.

https://www.scribd.com/document/...8-2-GE-Washer-Minimanual
#3 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2021 2:10:15 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
PNWDrew Thank you so much! My drain pump failed and I had to replace it. When I plugged the unit back in the drain pump just kept pumping and there were no lights coming on. I read this:

"2) These have a fixed pump out when cancelled, paused too long, errored out or unplugged. It will restart that entire pump out cycle when plugged back in. It is not based on the presence of water or not. It can be 3-5 minutes, seems like an eternity when you're standing there. Interrupting by unplugging it just starts it over."

and let it finish the pump cycle. It did feel like an eternity, but it was less than 5 minutes. Then I selected the small load and fast wash cycle and it seems to be working so far!

GE GTW460ASJ5WW

Edited by user Friday, July 9, 2021 2:11:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added model number

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply