Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
schwindt14  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 8:55:00 AM(UTC)
schwindt14

Groups: Registered

Our washer has been running well, but now when it gets to the "spin dry" part of the cycle it spins very slowly and doesn't seem to get the water out of the items. In addition, the timer will stay at "12," not counting down.

Any ideas here? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 5:29:12 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Your drain pump is probably clogged or otherwise not pumping out. This is an older machine so a failed pump isn't unlikely. It's behind the lower panel, T20 torx or 7mm screws under the bottom edge. There's a filter you can clean.

Check the filter first. Be aware that there is always water in the machine, no matter what you see inside. It''ll be around a quart to 1/2 gallon if you can't see any inside, but all water inside will come out so if it's full of wet clothes have a plan to deal with 3-5 gallons. Put the wet clothes in a bucket so they don't continue to drain while you have the filter out. The filter unscrews out, it'll be right in the middle behind that panel. White plastic thing. Expect some nasty stuff to be in there; it often is pretty foul. But maybe you'll find money, lost jewelry, anything in there.

This is your pump I believe:
Whirlpool 280187 Washer Drain Pump Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com Your pump motor may be black if it is original still.

The main pic is upside down, but in the pic the filter is the part right above the "P" in Pros on the watermark. There's a video too. It is a very easy repair, I do it in 15 minutes but it'll still be less than 1 hr for a average homeowner. You'll need a "torx" bit T20 size but a whole set is only a few dollars at most hardware stores.
schwindt14  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 7:31:38 AM(UTC)
schwindt14

Thanks PNWDrew! So I opened it up and the filter by the drain pump had a couple coins in it but nothing more. There wasn't too much water there. Mostly it came from the drain hose end, running back down. Nothing from the washer end, from what I could tell.

A bit more description though, in case this'll help and before I buy a new pump:

I set it to drain and spin, and it starts its back and forth spinning while intermittently trying to pump water out. The pump does kick off and on, and in fact it does seem to move all water from the washer into the hose, such that the only water left is what remains in the drainage hose itself. But then it just sits there at that stage, spinning slowly clockwise for a few seconds, then the opposite direction, drain pump kicking on and off, and the countdown display not getting any lower than "11" minutes remaining.

So am I correct in guessing that the pump is functioning okay, but that for some reason it just isn't entering the higher spin cycle?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
schwindt14  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 8:27:07 AM(UTC)
schwindt14

Okay, so we're up and running again. This is probably a no-brainer, but the load we had trouble with was a heavy rug. During my troubleshooting, I kept testing with the rug in there. Again, testing on empty is probably a no-brainer, but this is my first rodeo, so I apologize.

Anyway, it worked fine empty, so it occurred to me that the single heavy rug might have thrown off balance or something, so I tried the rug and a few bath towels. Now it all runs fine (I'm assuming because the items evenly distributed during the spin and acheived proper balance).

Sorry if I wasted any of your time, but thank you for helping me out.
PNWDrew  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 8:31:27 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Glad to hear it works. You are right If it can't balance it won't spin.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply