Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coastie1160870  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:41:54 PM(UTC)
coastie1160870

Groups: Registered

This has been a great machine..REALLY.. I couldn't ask for more, BUT...I am.!
It stopped turning the drum, and will not spin out the wet clothes.. I have replaced the coupler, that didn't help.! A few years back I had to replace the agitator dogs (COGS), which has nothing to do with it spinning or NOT spinning.. And that is the only thing I have had to repair or replace, in nearly 30 years of weekly use, until now.. So if you have any ideas as to what the problem is, or might be, PLEASE HELP..! Thanks

Also: I can't find a model number on this machine. I have been inside and out, there is no model number.. It is a top load, whirlpool, 6 or 8 cycle, 3 water levels, and multi-temp setting.. That is about all I can say, other than it is about 30 years old and looks about 10..!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:06:41 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
When it is supposed to be spinning but does not, is there any noise? Is the motor running?
coastie1160870  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:20:49 AM(UTC)
coastie1160870

Yes, motor is running.. It use to turn very slowly, but now does not move at all..
coastie1160870  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:23:33 AM(UTC)
coastie1160870

Also, there is no noise that is NOT normal.. I.E. no grinding or squeaking, or squealing, or slipping sounds..
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:10:37 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

When it gets ready to spin do you hear the "clunk" sound as it pauses then restarts to spin?

If you depress the lid switch with the lid up, does it seem like the basket/inner drum wants to turn but can't.

If you reach in and try to spin it, will it turn freely or try to turn a little?

It could be your clutch is worn out or it could be there is a bad part/parts in the gearcase.
coastie1160870  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:18:59 PM(UTC)
coastie1160870

It does make a "clunk" but does not turn at all. Seems to be locked up.. The coupler that came off was broken on one leg, and the center mating hub was torn, like it's supposed to if there if is a problem, but not excessively.. So I thought it was just wore out, after 30 +/- years, I expected that... But replacing the coupler did not fix the issue..
ThatGuy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:40:40 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

If the clutch was totally worn out, it might not be able to release the brake and the basket/drum wouldn't turn at all.

You would need to pull the washer's shell and by-pass the lid switch so you could see if the outer part of the clutch is spinning like crazy.

Just remember spinning parts = danger. So be careful :)

At this point see if its spinning and get back to me, don't get in a hurry and just replace it.

Whirlpool 285785 Clutch Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com

Washer Clutch Assembly (part #285785) - How To Replace
coastie1160870  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:13:20 PM(UTC)
coastie1160870

OK, Thanks.. It will take me a couple days to get into this and get back to you. I will have to get some help moving the machine out to where I can work on it. As it goes, I'm a double amputee and so I'm a little slower at getting things done.. Thank you for the help, I will follow up with you.. You said don't get in a hurry and just replace it, why.? Is there another possible issue.?
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:13:35 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

If you watch the video, you'll see that you have to take quite a bit of the washer apart to change out the clutch.

I would suggest that if the clutch seems bad, you first pull the washer apart and take a good look at all the parts as you work your way down to the clutch.

You may find some other bad or going bad parts on your way there. At the age your machine is, almost anything is possible. Good luck with it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply