Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmallie  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 2:14:20 PM(UTC)
jmallie

Groups: Registered

I replaced the shut off valve and was running the washer with it out to view an internal hose for leaks and accidentally shorted the shut off on the metal edge of the washer where the shut off unit inserts. I reset the house breaker and turned the washer back on (spin) and it worked. When I went to start a load an hour later nothing. I assume there is a fuse. When I looked in the control panel, I see one glass vial like fuse but no indication it is blown (no wires or black soot). Any suggestions are appreciated. This washer has run great and I hate to toss it because I screwed up, but the wife is at the fix it or replace it point.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gabe_1981  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 2:22:45 PM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Groups: Senior Expert

I dont see how a little short would cause your washer to stop working ... I would check the braker again, then test the lid switch ... Its the most common part to go out ... The washer you have is a tank ... They dont build them like that anymore, if possible keep ahold of that washer
Gene  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 3:18:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just to add my 2 cents....

There is a fuse which is a part of the lid switch assembly. It's shown on the picture bellow

UserPostedImage

It can be tested for continuity.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG A8740 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
jmallie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 6:14:36 AM(UTC)
jmallie

Groups: Registered

The fuse is blown. It is marked 1 A 250V 312. The switch says not greater than 4 amp fuse. Is this a 1 amp fuse?

One other question about a month ago I replaced the water shut off as it would stick about one out 15 times and overflow. Right after I did that I noticed a hose leak. I am pretty sure if it was right at the point that connects to the little plastic box above the shut off near the left side top as you face the washer. I tightened it down and no more leaks until last week. The leak is intermittent and I have not been able to replicate it to see it for myself.

I think it is right were the hose connects to the shutoff. There is no signs of water elsewhere and the dust around other hose connection areas is undisturbed. All hoses look in good shape not dry cracked etc. The leak is not were the two hoses from the water connect to the the shut off. The water is collecting in the back left corner under the shut off. It seems it is either the shut off itself (which makes no sense to me as either the solenoid opens & the water flows or it does not) or the hose connecting to the shut off. I did not install the little 1/2 inch adapter (small piece of hose) on the shut off connection which may be why it leaks. I have pulled it apart and installed the adapter. In doing so I blew the fuse. Comments appreciated.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:53:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:
... It is marked 1 A 250V...Is this a 1 amp fuse?...

It is a 1 amp fuse according to the information you posted.

About the water leak...Guessing is not what I like to do. Watch it close to pinpoint the leak.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply