Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
prof401  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:33:01 AM(UTC)
prof401

Groups: Registered

I ran a wash cycle with the lid open and the washplate doesn't move independently from the tub. The two move together in the same direction at the same time so there is very little agitation so the clothes don't get clean. I found this video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stdNzvWZ4M

and about 4:20 into it you see the washplate spinning rapidly back and forth. Mine doesn't do that and I can't figure out why. I replaced the hub but still have the same problem. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 7:09:22 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Your problem may be that she washer actuator (transmission shifter) Whirlpool WPW10006355 Shift Actuator - AppliancePartsPros.com is not taking your transmission out of spin mode, thus the tub and agitator plate spin together during the wash cycle.
There is a video with this link showing the repair.
prof401  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 8:03:24 AM(UTC)
prof401

Originally Posted by: brobriffin Go to Quoted Post
Your problem may be that she washer actuator (transmission shifter) Whirlpool WPW10006355 Shift Actuator - AppliancePartsPros.com is not taking your transmission out of spin mode, thus the tub and agitator plate spin together during the wash cycle.
There is a video with this link showing the repair.

I replaced this part about a year ago. Could it break that fast?
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:16:49 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

That is possible. However if the actuator is working then it is possible the splutch assembly may be bad. It's the part the actuator shifts in and out of agitation mode. Whirlpool W10721967 Cam - AppliancePartsPros.com
Watch this repair video to see how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcsfGpk1xs
prof401  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:30:15 AM(UTC)
prof401

That is possible. However if the actuator is working then it is possible the splutch assembly may be bad. It's the part the actuator shifts in and out of agitation mode. Whirlpool W10721967 Cam - AppliancePartsPros.com
Watch this repair video to see how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcsfGpk1xs

I should add that when the actuator went out I got an error code. In the past two months I've been hit with multiple problems and have replaced the belt, capacitor, inlet valves, and hub. I recalibrated the machine and cleared the error codes. Would the splutch give an error code? Someone on another site suggested it might be the gear case. Is the splutch the more likely source of the problem?

PS: I just looked at the video on replacing the splutch. If I take the old one off now would I be able to see if it's bad? Would the teeth be stripped?
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 1:07:05 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

It may be stripped or the little arm that shifts it may be bad. I doubt the transmission is bad, do you hear any grinding sounds or have you noticed any water leaking underneath or have you seen an oily substance in and around the transmission? If it is agitating both the tub and the agitator plate my suspicion is still either the actuator or the splutch (splined clutch) assembly not operating. In other words the actuator needs to move the splutch to release the tub during agitation mode.....
prof401  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 1:25:13 PM(UTC)
prof401

It may be stripped or the little arm that shifts it may be bad. I doubt the transmission is bad, do you hear any grinding sounds or have you noticed any water leaking underneath or have you seen an oily substance in and around the transmission? If it is agitating both the tub and the agitator plate my suspicion is still either the actuator or the splutch (splined clutch) assembly not operating. In other words the actuator needs to move the splutch to release the tub during agitation mode.....

There's no noise and I haven't noticed any leaks. I'll take a look at the splutch and maybe I'll just replace it and the actuator, too. That will be a lot cheaper than a gear case. Thank you for your help!
prof401  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:10:40 PM(UTC)
prof401

Originally Posted by: prof401 Go to Quoted Post
There's no noise and I haven't noticed any leaks. I'll take a look at the splutch and maybe I'll just replace it and the actuator, too. That will be a lot cheaper than a gear case. Thank you for your help!

Epilogue: This turned out to be what techies call an ID Ten T (write it out with the number ten). When I replaced the actuator I failed to attach the splutch arm to the new actuator. Now that that's done the machine is working fine.
brobriffin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:13:43 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

I'm glad you were able to solve the issue, thanks for using the APP forum.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply