Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frenchy7  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:41:48 AM(UTC)
Frenchy7

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag washer, model HAV2558AWW that after completing the spin cycle the clothes is still sopping wet. The machine pumps water out quickly, and doesn't seem to be obstructed. During the spin cycle I'm able to hold the basket and keep it from turning, which doesn't seem right. I was thinking this might be a bad drive block problem, but after taking apart the washer I see I don't have one. I'm thinking this is because this is direct drive. After a bit of research it looks like this could be a transmission pulley and bearing kit issue. Would anyone agree and confirm?

Thanks

Carl
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 1:27:57 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I might say the bearing thrust kit Whirlpool 12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com
which includes the transmission pulley along with a new belt
Whirlpool WP21352320 Washer Drive Belt - AppliancePartsPros.com
this assembly is responsible for releasing the brake allowing the basket to spin.
Do you notice a lot of black residue on the pulleys and floor under them.
If so belt slippage.....
This isn't definite though. Worst case scenario is bad transmission.
Frenchy7  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 4:56:10 PM(UTC)
Frenchy7

Update. As I had a badly worn belt, so I started by replacing the belt. It made no dofference. I then bought a pulley and bearing kit. After putting on the bearing and pulley I realized the washers were missing from the kit. So I used the original washer and clip. I then turned the pulley counterclockwise, expecting to eventually feel the motor drive to catch, but the pulley continued to freely turn counterclockwise. Is this a brake problem?
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:33:19 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

It very well might be a stuck brake. If you can shock it open using a large diameter dowel rod and hammer this may solve your problem. Corrosion sometimes causes the brake to stick closed and the thrust bearing may not be strong enough to open it. You may need to remove the pulley to gain access to the brake.
Frenchy7  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 12:27:07 PM(UTC)
Frenchy7

I tried to shock the brake by striking on the brake rotor and stator as suggested, however, it didn't do anything. In the spin cycle, I can still stop the basket from spinning with light pressure with my hand. Also, the agitator is still spinning. Any recommendations on what I should try next?
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 1:34:19 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

It still sounds like the thrust bearing assembly is not releasing the brake. Most thrust bearing kits came with two different thickness of washers. It may be that you need to use the thicker washer, so as to place enough pressure to release the brake. Question after you shocked the brake, did you happen to spin the pulley by hand to see if the bearing was releasing the brake?
Frenchy7  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 2:49:04 PM(UTC)
Frenchy7

I did spin the pulley in both directions. It spun freely in both directions.

At the moment, I have the thinner of the two washers on there, which is the original washer.

I had one helluva time getting the clip on with the thin washer. It would be difficult to get the clip on with the thicker washer. I don't have the thicker washer to try. There was a hole in the corner of the bag and it fell out so the parts place is getting me a new kit. I hope yo have it tomorrow.

The older parts I took off did not show much wear. They looked identical to the new parts, showing hardly any wear.
brobriffin  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 4:47:51 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Ok let me know what happens when the new ones arrive. When you pin the pulley do you see the brake release and the tub spin as well? The pulley can spin and yet not turn (spin) the tub if the brake isn't releasing.
Frenchy7  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 4:22:35 PM(UTC)
Frenchy7

Well, I got the washers today. I could not install the bigger (thicker) of the two washers. I couldn't get the retaining clip onto the spindle with the bigger washer. So I have the smaller washer installed.

As I turn the spindle, the basket and the agitator both turn. As before, it doesn't take any effort to stop the basket from turning. My wife noted the agitator and the basket were spinning in opposite directions.

So, any recommendations. Help! Lol...
brobriffin  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 6:13:43 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

If the brake is releasing and still you have those issues, I'm afraid your transmission will likely need to be replaced. I wish it could be rebuilt, but in all my searching I have been unable to find parts let alone a way to do it. Here is the part Whirlpool 35-6615 Ht Trans S - AppliancePartsPros.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply