Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
4995NfiT575_for  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:57:46 PM(UTC)
4995NfiT575_for

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag LA882 washer, purchased in the late 80s. I have over the years replaced the inlet hoses, both belts and the injector valve. It has performed very well.

Recently, at the beginning of any of the drain / spin cycles, the motor starts out very slowly. It soon “catches” up to normal speed and the spin cycle leaves the clothes well wrung out — dry as usual.

I’ve pulled off the front panel and the belts seem OK and the pump drains well and quickly.

The motor used to spin up so fast, one could hear the water being forced through the drain holes. Now it starts out much slower, before "catching up" to normal speed.

Again, the water is all pumped out and the spin cycle completes just fine — it’s the motor “starting out slow” that bothers me.

Any suggestions on what’s going on?

Thanks — A
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:48:39 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hard to say. I suggest you operate it with the front panel off and see if you can determine how the motor is engaging the belts. If the belt is tight all the time the problem may be the motor is failing or the transmission is beginning to have problems.

Congrats on getting this much use out of the machine and keeping it going for this long.
4995NfiT575_for  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:58:50 PM(UTC)
4995NfiT575_for

>If the belt is tight all the time the problem may be the motor is failing or the transmission is beginning to have problems.

OK. How does one then determine if it's the motor or the transmission that is failing?

I really like this machine and would want to fix it rather than buying a new one ;^)

Thanks again.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:01:26 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

When you operate it with the front panel off you will be able to tell. You should see the belt tension up for the spin.
4995NfiT575_for  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 10:48:51 PM(UTC)
4995NfiT575_for

Problem solved!

Summary:
Belts were OK, but the pulleys they wrapped around were greasy.

Details:
I cleaned the pulleys off and installed the new belts. Everything worked OK after this. When I originally check the old belts, I had not noticed the slippage. Someone suggested I check the platform the motor was mounted on (it moves back & forth a bit when it engages on a greased roller) and that’s when I saw the belts were slipping as the motor came up to speed.

Thanks for the advice!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply